Chapter 15

The news of the fire really put me in a bad mood. It was my paternal grandparents so not only did my grandparents live in that house but so did my cousins. My aunt's children, a baby girl, a seven year old girl, and their older brother who was thirteen, and my Uncle's children, who were three older guys. One was my age and the other two were Melvin and Marcus' age.

I had other cousins but they didn't live at my grandparent's house. We visited Italy frequently but it still sucked not to be able to see my family often. We were all very close, almost siblings, used to love dressing Emilia, the seven year old, up in doll clothes when she was a baby. It was fun having girls in the family.

I was laying on my bed texting Lexi, telling her about Italy and what had happened to my grandparents home. She was sad that their house burned down but she kept worrying about me and Damon. I had told her what I planned to do and she didn't approve.

Of course she wanted me to have a romantic relationship eventually, she hinted at it enough, she was just worried that my brothers would flip if they found out. Which they would.

Key word, if, they found out. I just had to stop that from happening.

My thoughts were interrupted by Joseph standing by the door. I sat up and looked at him, he stared at the floor looking uncomfortable.

"I'm pissed you guys don't invlolve me in things but I don't want to be mad at you anymore," He mumbled and my heart melted. Even though this gangly giraffe of a teenager liked to act tough he was still my younger brother, I sometimes forgot he wasn't as tough as he played it.

"Come here," I said trying to contain my amusement. When he came I wrapped my arms around him and gave him as much of a bear hug as I could muster.

When we had more sibling love than I could handle I let go and straightened up.

"Now get out of here you little shit," I winked and he chuckled, walking out of my room.

*Later*

"Aunt Rosa is the craziest old woman I've ever met," Marcus said, reffering to the woman who would be looking after us while our parents were in Italy.

We were having a younger sibling meeting in Marcus and Melvin's room, discussing everything we had just learned. I didn't have speaking privileges of course, I was still on probation.

"I don't remember this woman!" Joseph was frustrated because we hadn't seen Aunt Rosa for 6 years, she lived far away, and he couldn't remember what she looked like.

"You were nine, I doubt you remember anything from those days," Melvin said.

"Can I talk yet?"

"No."

I rolled my eyes, this was getting annoying but I didn't want to miss whatever was happening. These meetings were how we usually decided things like parties or discussed the family. Last year Greg was in the meetings too but once you graduated you were out. This was Joe's first year, as it was his first year in high school.

"We could probably throw a party and she wouldn't even wake up," Marcus continued his speech.

"What? Why?" Joseph asked.

"She takes these sleeping pills, I heard mom talking about it. That stuff knocks you out cold. We could throw the party as soon as she knocked out and just clean up after ourselves."

I snorted, as if he would clean.

"What?" Marcus snapped.

"Am I allowed to speak?"