Chapter 7

I sat down in between Melvin and Joseph as usual, but on the other side of the table Lacey was sitting in between my mother and Marcus. Thank god they didn't make me move, that would be more than I could handle.

"Lacey, this is our other son, Melvin, and our only daughter Lydia," My mother announced as soon as we got to the table.

"Nice to meet you," She smiled at me and Melvin.

"Nice to meet you too," Melvin smiled kindly. I didn't respond until Marcus kicked me under the table.

"Ouch- nice to meet you too," I said with a forced smile.

"Marcus talks about you all the time," She gushed.

"I'm sure he does," I said and Melvin pinched me.

"Stop being sassy," He whispered. I rolled my eyes.

"It's so great that I get to meet you all," She smiled, looking at each and everyone of us. Her sweet expression made me sick.

"When Marcus told us he had a girlfriend no one believed him," Greg smirked and winked at me. I was grateful he was purposely getting attention off me.

"Shut up," Marcus said embarrassed.

"Boys, behave," My mother scolded giving each a hard look, for some reason she was trying hard to impress this girl.

"Enough chit chat, let's eat!" My father announced. Everyone dug in hungrily. I didn't feel like eating but I knew I had to eat or they'd give me hell about it. I was sure Melvin wouldn't want Lacey to see the freakout.

After 30 minutes of stuffing our faces Felix cleared his throat.

"So, how long have you two been dating?" Felix asked, wiping his mouth.

"About two months," Lacey smiled.

"Wow what a long time," Felix mused. As dinner went on it seemed everyone was making conversation, I was the only silent one, only speaking up to ask Joseph to pass the water.

Lacey said something to Marcus I couldn't quite catch and he whispered something in her ear, she turned to me. My mother and Father excused themselves to let us 'kids' talk.

"So Lydia, how do you like tenth grade?" Lacey asked, trying to make conversation.

"It's fine," I said plainly shoveling a spoon full of spaghetti in my mouth to avoid another question. Marcus glared at me and I sighed, "It's better than freshmen year."

"Oh I know, I hated freshmen year, junior year was probably the best year for me," She said.

"Uh huh," I said uninterested.

"Yeah Lydia had a hard time adjusting freshmen year," Melvin chuckled and I glared at him.

"Aww, why?" Lacy asked with concern.

"She was hanging with the wrong crowd," Marcus said vaguely, clearly not wanting to get into it.

"That is not true!" I protested.

"Yeah, you're telling it wrong," Melvin laughed.

"I'd rather no one tell this story," I muttered, annoyed they were sharing my business with Lacey.

"Who was your friend Lydia?" Felix asked pretending to think.

"Oh yeah, wasn't he your boyfriend?" Melvin smirked sitting back. I blushed while everyone laughed at the memory.

"I don't think we should talk about this right now." I said.

"Oh no, I think this is a perfect time to talk about it," Melvin said devilishly.