Chapter 3 | The Fallen Blueberry

I was walking to the hospital with Alice

I was walking to the hospital with Alice. She had a shift today as well later in the morning, but she had volunteered to accompany me. Yesterday was the only day I was able to visit the neighborhood. I spent most of the time walking around Tristan and Alice had texted me places to visit that were outside of the North End.

"What time do you end today?" She asked me as we entered Starbucks.

Standing in line, "At 10pm. What about you?" The line started moving fast.

"One in the morning," it was our turn to order. The barista greets us and asks our orders, "Can I get one Grande iced chocolate almond milk shaken espresso with two extra shots of espresso," she tells them. Hearing her order makes me sound like a basic girl with the simplest order. She faces towards me waiting for my order.

"I'll have a Grande iced blonde vanilla latte," once we pay, we stand next to the tables as we wait for our drinks. The store was packed with doctors, nurses, businesspeople, etc. "Thanks for walking with me," I tell her, "Are you going to stay here or go to the hospital before your shift?" I ask her.

Our orders were called out and she goes and grabs them, "I love coffee but staying here for almost three hours no thank you. I can barely handle the smell of coffee," she hands me my drink. I laugh at her.

We walk out the door and cross the street to the front of the hospital. Alice goes into the small shop in the hospital while I walk to the elevator. Seeing the map of the hospital the pediatric floor is on the fourth floor. Pressing the elevator button, I made it to the fourth floor. Doctors were walking around nurses attending patients and families either inside the patient room or outside with the doctors. Walking to the desk I was greeted by an old lady.

"Hey, my name is Larissa I'm the new intern for Dr. Olsen," I inform her.

She looks at me before typing something on the computer, "Good you're here and early," it was ten minutes early, "Dr. Olsen will be in a second but in the meantime, you can put your belongings in the nurse room that is down to the left." I bid her a 'thank you' and walked to the locker room. Minutes later I'm back at the front desk where Dr. Olsen is there. yeah

"Larissa, thank you so much for being here," he said, shaking my hand, "Our patient was admitted in the morning. At least three of the doctor residents that I teach will be there while you're the only intern nurse," we walk down the hall to the stairs. "Your advisor Melissa has informed me that you already know the basics but are willing to learn more," he tells me.

I nod, "Yes that is correct," we walk until we arrive at the door.

Dr. Olsen walks in welcoming the patient, "Hi Bailey my name is Dr. Olsen," looking at the chart Bailey is a young girl aged seven who has been diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (the muscles in the body to become weak and damaged over time). Dr. Olsen is talking to her, making small talk to let the nervousness out of her system. "Larissa here," he calls out my name gesturing me to get closer, "will be your nurse. Don't worry she is a great nurse," I smiled at her.