Chapter 9 | Royal Duties

Walking back to my place I thought about the smile that was on her face

Walking back to my place I thought about the smile that was on her face. It was a genuine smile like one from the first day we met. Glancing one more time at the photo I took of her I smile thinking about her laugh. Arriving in front of my flat I head upstairs biding a 'hello' to my neighbors before unlocking the door.

"About last night," my bodyguard Noah says from the couch where he's currently laying with a bandage on his abdomen from last night's incident, "I apologize for the behavior I displayed towards Lady Larissa," he lowers his head.

As I enter the living room in my hands is a coffee cup from Bova's, the way their coffee tastes remind me of home – England. I have been living in Boston for about two years with the orders of my lovely father who passed down the company over to me once my uncle gave it to him. He believed that as he was King, he wouldn't be able to do both jobs at the same time. My parents are the King and Queen of England. They never wanted their children to be the eye of public attention indicating the paparazzi would get a small glance once every year from us. Although my older brother is quite the paparazzi's star as his wedding is upcoming in five months. My parents thought it would be better to have only one child be out in the spotlight, Christian.

They viewed him as the star of the family which I understand as the oldest has the higher place to the throne.

"Don't apologize to me," I handed him the cup. He slowly gets up walking towards the door, "Not right now Noah waits until you're fully healed then you can go to her place and apologize to her properly," he gives me a sheepish smile before returning back to the couch, "You look happy your highness," he tells me. The smile on my face leaves giving him a serious look.

"Have my parents called you?" I asked. My parents only call Noah, never me as I'm 'too busy' running the company to answer to royal duties. He shakes his head. I figured as my father had sent out an email to my receptionist back at the office of the agenda, I need to follow for the next two months. The company is trying to collaborate with other organizations to build a better name for it after the scandal my cousin had three years ago. Although the company isn't big here in Boston but in England it's one of the top five enterprises with the involvement of the royal family.

Noah sits against the couch, "With all due respect sir I believe you should call your parents. They're worried about you," a laugh leaves my mouth, "The others have noticed," he mentions the other workers in the house.

"My dear friend, when has the King and Queen ever been worried for their estranged son, never. Noah, we've been friends since boarding school and you have yet to stop calling me 'highnesses or 'sir'," I joke.

He shrugs his shoulders, "It's an old habit, can't die that fast."

He has a point. Everywhere I went in England people would recognize me bowing their heads, greeting me, or allowing me to have first. When my father announced our involvement with the company, I sought out an opportunity to have a regular life. Finally, be the free man I wanted to be except for having a bodyguard, "How's the wound treating you?" I asked. Last night Noah had an encounter with a burglar at the dry cleaners. He got stabbed with a knife after retrieving the money from the owner. When he came back to the flat there was a trail of blood following him, panic ran through me. First instinct was to find who did it but that was forgotten when helping your friend comes first.