Chapter 57

Delivery for a long chapter, enjoyy!

▬۩▬

The pitter-patter of rain could be heard from all around Hogwarts. It wasn't an ideal weather to attend Care of Magical Creatures on a Monday morning, so Professor Grubbly-Plank created an invisible shield around their studying area in front of Hagrid's hut so they could proceed with the lesson peacefully. There was a small table in front of her, which carried some twigs. Well, Bowtruckles to be precise. The students were sitting on the ground, notebooks open on their lap as they watched their professor offer woodlice to the creatures, who happily accepted it.

"That's disgusting." Juliette heard Draco say from behind her. Blaise contributed his own comment. Juliette didn't pay attention. Her page was almost empty except for a few bullet points and a poorly sketched Bowtruckle. Her pencil was being rolled between her two fingers as she distractedly watched the twig-like creatures eat their offerings. She was finding it hard to focus on anything lately. School work was overwhelming enough, and she was also dealing with the glares that were being sent her way from Zacharias. She tried to sit as far away from him as possible, but... his presence was still a nuisance. She never found out what his detention was, but she really hoped that Snape gave him hell.

She had a very short conversation with Matthew on Sunday. He congratulated her, assured her that Smith's broom was inspected and found clean, and told her to keep practicing by herself until the team trainings started in late October. He told her she could buy herself a broom if she wanted to, or use the rickety Shooting Stars. She felt a bit better after their conversation, feeling anxious but excited for what was to come.

And then there was seeing Draco again this morning. They walked to Hagrid's hut together, accompanied by Blaise. He did most of the talking while Draco seemed to be giving Juliette some space. She appreciated it, but also felt like her behavior the other day managed to drive him away. She should never have said anything about Pansy. It wasn't her business, and she had no right to be mad at Draco. Feeling the burn of humiliation under her cheeks every time she remembered her words, she just hoped that their friendship wouldn't be badly affected along the way.

Speaking of Pansy, Juliette was glad she was sitting with her other friends instead of with Draco because she didn't feel like dealing with being near her, or watching them together with nowhere to escape.

"...This way, you can attempt to remove wand-wood from their tree without being attacked." Professor explained, and Juliette wrote her words down. Her page was a mess. "Now, does anyone want to approach?"

A few students eagerly raised their hands, and two of them were chosen to go near the table. They had a go at offering the creatures another round of woodlice.

"Julie." She felt Draco's breath on her neck as he leaned forward, but she didn't get a chance to hide her shiver.

"Yeah?" She turned her head sideways to hear him better.

"It's been a while since we had lunch together, don't you think?"

"It hasn't been a week yet, but sure."

"Like a said, been a while. And I promised to help you study for the classes you missed, remember?"

"I remember." Juliette's lips twitched as she tried to hide her smile. Maybe she didn't drive him away, after all.

"Okay, I'll meet you there then." Draco leaned back despite not receiving a proper answer, and took all the warmth with him. Juliette pulled her school robes around her tighter.