Chapter 44

Ingrid Avery took a sip from her warm tea as Juliette sat on the carpet, sewing ribbons on her new ballet shoes.

"I'm really disappointed that you didn't practice this year at all, Juliette." She commented as Juliette accidentally pricked her finger with a sudden hiss.

"Sorry, mother. I didn't really have much time to practice. But I'm getting better again, don't worry." She said, licking her finger to reduce the irritation before continuing her task. She was way too familiar with the feeling to get distracted by it.

"Good. Maybe next summer you can continue your lessons." Her mother said, flipping the newspaper pages with her empty hand.

"I don't need lessons anymore. I'm already good at it." Juliette said dismissively.

"There's always room for improvement."

"It's not like I'm going to be a professional, mother. It's just a hobby." She shrugged, but didn't get an answer back. Ingrid was busy reading an article from Daily Prophet that was sitting on the sofa beside her.

"You and father are reading a lot of newspaper lately." Juliette commented, suspiciously eyeing the papers.

"Yes. You know how it is right now." Ingrid said with a murmur, not really focused on her daughter anymore.

"No, I really don't. You never tell me anything." Once again, Juliette didn't receive any reply.

She sighed and dropped her shoes, feeling curious about what her mother was reading. She tried to crane her neck to read the article as well but she could only see the Minister's face as flashlights of cameras illuminated his features.

"What does it say?" She asked.

"Nothing much. The Minister is still denying the Dark Lord's return."

Juliette recoiled, "But why? Shouldn't he warn them?"

Her mother frowned in confusion and looked down at her. "Warn who?"

"I don't know, everyone? Wizards and witches and muggles!"

Ingrid was surprised by Juliette's words, pausing for a second before replying, "Why would he warn wizards and witches?" She asked, completely ignoring muggles.

Juliette tried not to throw her hands in the air out of frustration.

"Mum, we are talking about the Dark Lord. He's the one who started the First Wizarding War. So many people died. Lives could be in danger–"

"You weren't even around during that war, Juliette. Don't speak of it like you know anything about it. It was war, of course there would be deaths. What did you expect?" Ingrid completely took Juliette by surprise, leaving her lips parted with words stuck in her throat. "And stop worrying about this. We're safe. That's all that matters."

Juliette, stunned, watched her mother leave the newspaper unattended as she stood up to go back to the kitchen to get rid of her teacup. Juliette was worried by how carelessly her mother talked about other people's deaths — like their own lives were the only ones that mattered. It was unsettling.

"By the way, go get ready." She paused by the entrance of the living room, stopping Juliette from curiously leaning towards the papers once again. "Your father and I will leave for the Malfoy Manor in an hour. You can come and see Draco as well."

Juliette's heart took a leap upon hearing Draco's name, but it only lasted for a second. It's been weeks since the school year ended and she hasn't heard from him at all. She was aware that he already warned her about the letter situation but she was still irritated by his indifference towards her. She wrote about how trapped she felt and she mentioned her family issues, yet he never bothered to reply. Juliette wondered if he even read her letters.