Chapter 9

*unedited bc i'm lazy but i hope you'll like it

▬ ▬ ▬۩▬ ▬ ▬

  The inevitable day came too quickly for Juliette's liking. She was becoming more anxious and excited at the same time as the days passed and it was reflecting on her actions.

On the Christmas Eve night, she was sitting on her tidy bed, nervously playing with her fingers while her room mates dressed up for the ball. Her brand new red dress was laying in front of her, being exposed to Juliette's hesitant eyes.

It was a beautiful and an elegant dress which reached her ankles. At least that's how it looked when she checked it on herself in front of her floor length mirror without wearing it.

"Are you just going to sit there for the whole night?" One of her dorm mates, a girl named Susan asked.

Juliette, snapping out of her thoughts, looked around her and noticed that everyone was ready to head out. Everyone but her. She was still in her comfortable nightgown.

"Uh... Yeah— I mean, no. I will get ready now." She said, before biting her lip and standing up. She felt uncomfortably insecure under the gazes of the dressed-up girls around her.

She delicately grabbed her dress, afraid that she might damage it's soft fabric if she's not careful. The others left her with her dress, her thoughts and her cat, Elvis, alone in the dormitory.

Her mother has sent her the red gown the other day; right after she sent her a letter, asking for help with her attire. She was happy with the dress but she wasn't sure how she was supposed to do her hair and her make-up by herself without creating a horrendous look.

She dropped the dress on her bed, once again, and decided to handle her make-up first since it was the hardest part.

Juliette didn't have any make-up supplies except for a light shade of pink lipstick which was literally the same colour as her lips since she hated how uncomfortable the materials felt on her face. She also didn't like covering up her freckles. It was probably the only thing she liked and didn't felt insecure about her face.

Juliette walked towards Hannah Abbott's bed, her other room mate, and examined the scattered make-up supplies. Almost half an hour ago, she had asked her if she could use them after her and Hannah reluctantly agreed but not before throwing her supplies a possessive look.

She grabbed four little boxes, all of them coloured in black and had a brand name that she hadn't heard before, and headed towards her mirror.

She didn't want to waste someone else's makeup and since she didn't know how to properly use them, she tried to apply the colours as little as possible.

Ten minutes later; she had slightly red cheeks, glossy red lips and something called mascara on her eyelashes; which turned darker and thicker. She didn't see that much difference on her face except for her lips which were drawing all of her attention at the moment. She considered removing the lipstick and putting on the light pink one she had instead but when her eyes locked on her dress on the mirror's reflection, she changed her mind; thinking her red dress would match with her red lips.

Putting the makeup materials back on Hannah's bed, she decided to keep her hair simple and just braid it. Her long hair looked more composed even though the braid was a bit messy. The bangs she had in third year were now longer, reaching past her ears but they refused to be contained by the braid. She sighed as they caressed her cheeks but didn't try to fix it since it looked natural.

She started to hurry and grabbed her dress, not wanting to keep Zacharias waiting and receive a rude remark for it later.

Juliette changed into her dress. The fabric wrapped around her waist, embracing her but not in an uncomfortable way. It was sleeveless and it had a turtleneck. She was glad that her hair didn't get any messier when she put the dress on.