Chapter 47 〆 𝟻𝚝𝚑 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛

I've been away for some time and when I logged in the other day, I saw that this story almost has 200K reads and I was like hoLLLLy guacAMOLE no way

I don't know if people will keep reading since it's been a while but if you are, thank you!

This is a short chapter but enjoy :)

▬۩▬

Hogwarts. It was a home for all magical students. A familiar place, a safe haven -mostly- with exciting possibilities to come each new day. First days always made everyone more excited than ever, giddy and impatient. Happy even.

It was a few minutes after the Sorting Ceremony. People became slightly confused and nervous after the Sorting Hat sang a different song about the broken friendship of Hogwarts founders before warning the students, urging a unity from within. But, of course, it didn't take more than five minutes for the students to forget about it and continue enjoying their evening.

Juliette thought it would slightly be different than other years. Cedric died a couple months ago, didn't he? She expected everyone to be a little uncomfortable, hesitant to be here. But no one seemed to mind. Happy chatters filled her ears as she sat at her table in the Great Hall.

She was resting her head in her palm while staring at her half-eaten food with boredom. She believed that people were upset and uneasy because of what happened, but they also wanted to continue their lives and hoped that everything would turn out fine. That was probably why no one seemed to believe Harry's story. About how the Dark Lord was back, even though Dumbledore himself confirmed it as well.

"Juliette." Someone nudged her arm, causing her to look up.

Hannah was sitting next to her. Juliette didn't know why, but the girl chose to sit with her during the opening feast. It made her think. Think about how Hannah, the girl who's been nothing but rude to her, hugged and tried to comfort her after the horrible night of the tournament. How she brushed her hair and covered her shivering body with a blanket. And now she was eating with her, along with her close circle of friends. It certainly was strange. Juliette couldn't help but think Hannah's sympathy was caused by the pity she felt for her. She didn't like it at all.

"How was your summer?" Hannah asked. Her new prefect badge was shining on her chest. She's been talking about it the whole night. Ernie Macmillan, the boy prefect, didn't really talk much about it, though he seemed happy and proud.

"It was okay." Juliette answered, turning back to her food without asking it back. Hannah's smile disappeared as she sent a helpless look to her friends. She received small shrugs.

It was not like they were friends. Juliette appreciated that Hannah and the rest of her roommates had tried to help her through her grief and saved her from sitting all by herself during the feast, but they also ignored her during all those years and she couldn't just forget that. That, and all the nasty remarks and looks she received from them for the past few years.

The hall quietened down as Dumbledore took his place behind the stand, getting ready to give his annual speech.

"Good evening children, and welcome back to Hogwarts." He started. "I'm sure you're aware, we have two changes in staff this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

Juliette looked behind Dumbledore to see an elderly witch with a noticeably pointed chin. Her short grey hair could be seen under her hat. She didn't look very friendly at first glance.