Chapter 62

Hogwarts soon started to resemble a prison rather than a school. Dolores Umbridge was climbing the stairs of hierarchy with the helping hand of the Ministry, and she was already positioned above the rest of the professors at present. Juliette tried to stay out of her radar, even though it was a tad bit difficult when she was intervening with every single class, student and professor. She honestly didn't understand how the high inquisitor had the energy and motivation to turn the school into a living hell for everybody. And if Umbridge shoving her nose into everything wasn't enough, she definitely crossed a line when she mercilessly fired Professor Trelawney from her position as a teacher, as well as kicking her out of the castle.

Juliette first heard the sound of crying before noticing the crowd around the entrance. Seeing Umbridge at the centre wasn't unexpected, but seeing Trelawney between her packed bags was. Juliette didn't expect her heart rate to go up, to panic, but she did. Her feet carried her towards Hermione, who stood back with a look of disgust on her face. Her breaths were harsh from not being able to do anything.

"What's going on?" She asked, even though she had a slight idea.

Hermione glanced at her, crossing her arms.

"Umbridge is kicking Trelawney out. She's been insufferable to professors like her. She's trying to do the same with Hagrid."

Juliette's wide eyes focused back on Trelawney, and Umbridge giving her a pitying look that she most definitely practiced in front of a mirror.

"She can't do that!" Juliette protested, which didn't hold any power against the permit that was clutched in Umbridge's hand as she waved it in front of Trelawney's face.

"I honestly don't believe there's anything she can't do." Hermione replied, and turned around to leave without a word. The sight seemed to be too much for her. It was unbearable enough to Juliette, and she just arrived at the scene. Trelawney's sobs echoed around the grounds and Juliette felt guilty for ever doubting her teaching skills or making comments about how bizarre she was. The private lessons they had together seemed to plant seeds of care that she started to grow for Trelawney, but all she could do now was squeeze the strap of her bag with a helpless frown.

That day was filled with uncomfortable silence from current residents of Hogwarts accompanied by the gloomy fog outside. One positive aspect was Dumbledore showing up to protect Trelawney, finally standing up to Umbridge and telling her that the professor was allowed to stay at Hogwarts as long as he was the headmaster. Juliette saw the gears starting to turn in Umbridge's head, so she left the scene with slight relief and a feeling of uneasiness at the same time.

A few days passed and it was, once again, Hagrid's turn to be pestered by Umbridge. It happened during one of their Thestral lessons, and Umbridge had a field day about how useless the subject of study was since no one could even see the creatures. Draco snickered at her endless questions at Hagrid, and Juliette unsuccessfully tried to ignore it.

"This isn't funny." She snapped her head to the side to glare at him, trying to keep her voice low.

"It is a little." Draco wasn't bothered by the look she gave him as he watched Hagrid fumble over words.

"She fired Trelawney. She's going to do the same to him." Juliette sounded bitter, and rightfully so. She was still anxious about who was going to replace her. And what was going to happen to her private lessons? Would she still receive them from the new professor? What happened to keeping it a secret from others? What if the new professor was assigned by Umbridge? Or worse, the Ministry? Her secret would be out in no time.

"Why do you care?" Was Draco's only response, and Juliette quickly realised that it was a waste of time to explain the situation to him. So she looked away. She looked away when he raised his hand when Umbridge asked if anyone was dissatisfied with Hagrid's teaching, along with a few others. And she looked away again when Draco started to take points from students that didn't follow the rules Umbridge implemented. But she couldn't look away anymore when the crying figure of Robin caught her attention on her way to the Hufflepuff common room.