Chapter 38

Juliette sat on a bench underneath the tree that has been growing over the centuries. A warm breeze hit her face, gently throwing her hair back as she absentmindedly stared at her boots, her mind almost empty.

"I really want this day to be over." Cedric murmured while laying on the bench, staring at the blue sky with squinted eyes. Juliette's hair constantly entered his view, the weak wind throwing the dark strands around like a tree branch in harsh storm.

It was the day of the final task.

"Me too." Juliette replied. She teared her eyes away from her shoes and looked at Cedric. His head was resting near her leg. He returned her gaze from upside down and smiled.

"Do you think I'm going to win?" He asked with a childlike curiosity.

Juliette shrugged. "I don't really care. You should focus on surviving."

Cedric rolled his eyes.

"You always exaggerate things. What do you think is going to happen?"

Juliette shrugged again, not giving an answer.

"Dumbledore would never let anything happen to us."

I really really hope so, she thought to herself.

She didn't say anything for a little while. A quiet, somehow peaceful aura surrounded her today. She wasn't sure why. Everything seemed quiet. Even the students' voices at the Courtyard were hushed. The chirping of the birds sounded like they were coming from far away.

She liked it, but hated it at the same time.

"Cedric, do you remember the visions and nightmares I've told you about?" Juliette asked, not knowing why she was bringing it up.

I should tell him. He deserves to know. Besides, he's my best friend. I can't keep secrets from him. I'd feel guilty.

"Yeah. Did you have another one?" Cedric asked as Juliette unsurely bit her bottom lip.

Once you reveal it to someone else, it will be out of control, Dumbledore's warning voice echoed in her head.

She looked up at the sky, closed her eyes for a moment and released a shaky breath.

"No." She said, restraining the truth from coming out of her mouth. It was right there, waiting at the tip of her tongue until she forcefully swallowed it down. "I don't have them anymore."

Even though she wasn't looking at Cedric, she could still sense his lazy smile.

"That's good, isn't it? Perhaps they were really because of your lack of sleep."

Juliette wanted to shake her head. Her lack of sleep was caused by her visions, but she couldn't tell him that, could she?

"Yeah." She silently agreed, hoping he could forgive her dishonesty if he ever finds out.

Cedric sighed loudly, attracting Juliette's attention.

"Let's go back to the common room. I'm in need of a nap before the task." He said, sitting up with a yawn.

Juliette smiled and rolled her eyes at his messy hair. No matter what he did, his hair always looked like a nest. It wouldn't even last ten minutes after he styled it with such care. Either he would mess it up, or his friends would take up the challenge.

When they both stood up and headed to the stairs, Juliette noticed the yellow and black scarf that was hanging loosely from his neck.

"Ced, why are you wearing that scarf? It's summer."