Chapter 6

Later that week, in the common room, Professor Sprout announced that the Yule Ball was approaching and that they were going to learn how to waltz soon.

Juliette, sitting at the back of the room, didn't look very excited. Waltz wasn't a problem for her, considering she was familiar with dancing, but she needed a partner to dance and to attend the ball which was a bummer, really. Now, how was the introverted, shy and not-so-social Juliette supposed to find someone to go to the ball with? Did she even want to go?

During the weekend, Professor Sprout and the Hufflepuff students gathered together in the Assembly Hall to learn how to waltz. There was a huge, old gramophone standing in the middle of the room. Filch was unsuccessfully trying to play the music.

"Now," Professor Sprout looked around the room. Girls and boys were separated but were facing each other. Curious, nervous and bored faces were looking right back at her. "You must know that the Yule Ball is a very important tradition of The Triwizard Tournament. We will be gathering in the Great Hall on Christmas Eve and I want all of you to behave. As the host of the tournament, it is important to be well-mannered. Don't you forget that." And then she briefly talked about and demonstrated how the dance worked, the steps and the placement of hands etcetera. It didn't look that complicated, or so Juliette thought because everyone, especially the boys looked like they were about to do the hardest task ever in their life.

"Now, I want all of you to find a partner. You will practice together."

Doubtful looking boys reluctantly started to partner up with excited girls and Juliette wanted to disappear right away. She hated partner works. She was always the last one to find herself a partner during classes because she always waited for someone to be left alone so she could volunteer to work with them.

Juliette was still sitting on her chair, playing with her skirt with pursed lips while the others tried to partner up but as she noticed Cedric walking towards her and smiling warmly like he knew very well how she must be feeling, her tense body relaxed.

"Come on, Jules." He extended his hand towards her, expecting her to take it. "You don't have to look miserable like that."

Juliette, laughing at his words, took his hand and let him pull her to her feet. "Thank you." She said quietly as they took their position among others, waiting for the music to start.

"You're welcome." He merely said.

And the music started, enabling them to dance together. Juliette was so quick to learn the steps that she wouldn't have to try hard to perfect them. Cedric was slowly catching up to her but he was having trouble focusing on his steps since he was way too worried about avoiding other students so they wouldn't collide with them.

They danced, and danced until Professor Sprout dismissed them after an hour, praising everyone and not forgetting to tell her students to keep practicing.

Juliette exited the gloomy and crowded room with Cedric by her side.

"So," He put his hands in his pockets. "Who do you think will ask you?"

Juliette looked confused for a moment, not understanding what he was talking about until two girls walked past them, giggling excitedly about the dance. "Uh... I'm not sure. I don't really—" She trailed off uncomfortably. "I don't really think anyone will ask me."

Cedric looked at her with a frown, not agreeing with her answer. "How do you know? I'm sure someone will ask you. You'll just have to push your shyness aside and say yes."

"I'll think about saying yes if someone asks me." She said. "Anyway, who are you going to ask?"

Cedric, despite his own advice, suddenly looked really shy. "I don't know." He said, not trying to hide the fact that he was lying.

"Come on Cedric, I'm your friend." She softly nudged his arm.

Cedric's cheeks looked a little red while his lips curled up with a smile. "You probably don't know her." He said with his head bowed.

"Just tell me!" She said with a laugh, getting a little impatient.

"Well, she's in Ravenclaw." Juliette nodded, encouraging him to keep going. "And she's in fifth year."

"Are you going to tell me her name or do I have to solve a riddle to find out?" Juliette exclaimed as they walked in the doors of the Great Hall for lunch.

"Cho." He blurted out, making his friend frown.

"What's that?" Juliette asked, confused.

Cedric rolled his eyes with a smile. "It's her name, Juliette."

"Oh." She felt a little embarrassed of her question. "Well, I don't know her—"

"What a surprise." Cedric interrupted her but she ignored his mocking voice.

"—but I'm sure she's really nice and I hope she'll say yes."

They found a seat at the Hufflepuff table and sat together. "I hope so too." Cedric sighed before looking up, searching for Cho so he could show her to Juliette. "Look, that's her." He said, trying not to be obvious while pointing at her.

Juliette looked at the girl who was sitting with her friends at the Ravenclaw table. With her long black hair in braids and a soft smile on her face, she looked pretty.

"She looks lovely." Juliette said, making Cedric let out a sigh. "I know." He looked back at Juliette, not wanting to get caught by her or her friends. "And if she rejects me, I could always ask you." Cedric said before laughing at her offended reaction.

"Why are you so mean to me?" She exclaimed, trying to not laugh with him.

"I'm sorry!" He didn't look sorry. "But you said no one was going to ask you!"

"Oh yeah?" Juliette was wearing a smirk. "Then you should probably prepare yourself to ask me because Harry Potter is looking at your girlfriend like a hungry hippogriff."

Cedric looked around with a confused expression, his eyes searching for Harry Potter at the Gryffindor table. He was indeed looking at Cho and it was a bit creepy in Juliette's opinion.

"I'm sure he's looking at someone else." Cedric murmured, looking down at the food on his plate.

Juliette sighed at his sombre expression, wishing she hadn't said anything. "You'll just have to be the first one to ask her." She said encouragingly.

"I'll try."

She frowned at his short reply but didn't say anything else and focused on her own food. 

While she was too busy with telling Cedric how Harry was watching Cho before, she totally missed two silver blue eyes watching her from the Slytherin table with a curious  expression.

—-

Everyone's basically a creep in this story.