Radiation

The others all made their way into the dining room but you stopped to speak to Coco.

"Hey." You say, being nice but holding your dominance.

"Hello." Coco says, stone cold.

"Look, I think we should be friends." You say, holding your hand out.

This was a strategy of being so nice that Coco had no reason to refuse.

You watched as she contemplated walking away but by the way she tensed her jaw you were sure she felt guilty doing so.

Her face still didn't move from her permanent frown but she acquiesced your offer, shaking your hand.

You beamed at her but she quickly turned away, heading for the table.

It was a start.

You reach the dinning room and sit down in the spare seat beside Evie Gallant.

Ms Venable suddenly glides back into the room with news.

"Today a carrier pigeon delivered us a message from the Cooperative." She says, making the whole room buzz with excitement.

Some of these people must've been here way before the bombs struck.

They must be really paranoid. You think.

"Well what did it say then?" One of the taller guys say.

"The world as you know it is now gone. Three of the Outposts have been breached."

"That quickly?" Evie exclaims, "In only two weeks."

Everyone mutters for a while until Ms Venable's glare got the better of them and they shut themselves up.

"However, we have detected a problem. It seems there has been a radiation breech in this centre room."

Everyone speaks in panic, flustered voices fill the room as you lean back in your chair.

You were terrified at that moment, knowing you were only recently in here and how it was likely to be you but you don't let it show.

Names get thrown around the room and it was easy to see how hypocritical people were.

Talking about working together to survive and the next minute blaming their closest friend to save their own skin.

You stay quiet, not wanting to get caught up in this mess.

Whoever it was, arguing wasn't going to change anything.

Suddenly, you notice Ms Mead sneak into the room behind Venable.

She held something in her left hand that kept making a staticy noise.

Immediately, you know it was to detect the breech even before she explains it's purpose.

"Could everyone please stand very still as we scan you." She orders, making everyone freeze.

Obviously no one wanted it to be them.

The nerves had you shaking, you couldn't help thinking back to the nausea and wondering whether it was you.

Ms Mead passed Coco and she was clean.

You next.

You clench your jaw and close your eyes as you listen to the noise of the machine scanning you.

"Clean." Ma Mead says robotically.

You release a sigh of relief that you weren't conscious of holding until then.

To your horror, you hear the dreaded sound of Ms Mead telling someone that they were...

"Contaminated."