Message

I'm gonna throw up." Mr Gallant says.

"Well, I don't care about what it is. It tastes divine and it's full of fibre." His grandmother says, plucking a bone from her teeth.

She was the only one not disgusted by it.

You feel a migraine coming on as you stare at the soups murky depths and notice a finger pop up and float in your bowl.

"Y/n?" Emily says, shaking your shoulder.

You scramble to your feet, almost slipping in your heels.

"That's rank." You say, your face convulsing in horror at the sight of Evie Gallant eating human meat by choice.

"Don't be ridiculous." Ms Venable chuckles, fishing around in her stew for a good chunk of meat before swallowing it.

You flinch as you notice the substance go down her throat.

"There are some lines you can't cross. Cannibalism is one of them." She explains giving everyone what must've been an attempt at a reassuring smile.

However, the woman in charge didn't look as confident as she normally did.

You visibly watched her wince at the stares she was receiving from the people who were supposed to respect her.

You glance at one of the Greys that you'd seen earlier who seemed mesmerised by Venable.

"Could we leave the dining room?" Emily asks, her voice wavering.

"As you wish." Venable says, nodding.

"Thank you." Timothy says, sharing a worried look with Emily.

You forgot how adorable young love was.

The others practically shove each other to get into the sitting room where they argued about what the meat was.

"How can you do that? Stu was your friend!" Andre drones on.

I mean, you understood he was currently heartbroken but you didn't have the time to deal with such petty things as emotions at the time.

"It must've been chicken, why would Venable eat contaminated meat?" Dinah says mostly to reassure her son, Andre.

Andre shoves Dinah, pushing her onto the glass table.

Luckily it doesn't break.

The room tenses as everyone gets shoved around like children.

Obviously not you because you were mature enough to stay out of it.

You noticed Coco pulling Evie Gallant's hair and found it amusing.

The whole place was falling apart more and more with every passing second.

You zone out, trying not to focus on the sound of punches being thrown.

Instead, you hear the background of a song and notice it fade into silence.

A silence you hadn't heard since you've been here.

"Guys, can you hear that?" You hear Emily say.

The fighting stops briefly.

"The songs stopped playing."  You pipe up, curious.

"The song has been playing on repeat for weeks though." Mr Gallant exclaims, looking like a detective about to solve his biggest case yet.

Suddenly, the static crackles into a new song.

The Morning After.

After a few minutes of the song playing, you begin to realise something.

"Do you think this is the cooperative trying to send us a message?" You ask, filling the room with a different sound from the music.

"Wait! It must be!" Mr Gallant says, "They're saying hang on for tomorrow! We're going to be saved!"

The whole room erupts into cheers and whoops as people run to hug each other and dance to the awful ancient song of freedom.