Prologue

You sit on the dining chair, admiring the table setting. You prepared dinner and lit candles to surprise your wife, Red Velvet's Irene Bae (though in this house, she is called by her real name, Joohyun).

You are exhausted because you did the house chores all day long: you cooked breakfast, you did dishes, you did the laundry, you cleaned the whole house, you washed your wife's other car.

Since marrying Irene three years ago, you've been a housewife. You don't really mind, though, because you love taking care of your wife. Sure, you would've loved to pursue being an architect, but you gladly set that dream aside because you don't want to jeopardize your wife's career: the public doesn't know that Red Velvet's Original Visual is bisexual. And they most certainly did not know that she is married.

And so you agreed to settle on being a housewife, a job that you most certainly adore because Irene never fails to make you feel appreciated for every single thing you do for the two of you. "I love coming home to you," she always says every single night. "Thank you for all your sacrifices."

But despite the fact that you're exhausted due to all the tasks you finished all day, you've gone the extra mile and decided to do something special for her: a candlelit dinner in your home. You made sirloin steak with a side of mashed potato in mushroom gravy and prepared a bottle of champagne.

And why shouldn't you celebrate? Irene just made you the happiest woman on Earth.

While you were resting earlier this afternoon, you heard from the news that Irene Bae, 30, announced her retirement from Red Velvet to focus on acting. That means that she will no longer be as busy and she can finally have more time with you.

She also finally revealed her marriage, though she didn't say to whom. That's fine, though. You appreciate that she still wants to keep things private.

Your wife didn't tell you that she was planning to retire from Red Velvet; it was a surprise. One that you love.

Irene enters your abode and calls your name. "In here," you answer from the dining room.

She gasps when she sees the table setup you've prepared for your romantic evening. "Oh, [Y/N], this is so beautiful!" she exclaims.

You rise from your seat and walk to her, gently pulling her for a kiss. "You deserve it, baby," you whisper to her ear. "Thank you for making me even happier today."

She smiles at you lovingly and pulls up a bouquet of sunflowers from her back. She holds it up for you to take. "You're not the only one who's full of surprises," she says.

It's moments like this one that reminds you why you love Irene. You make a mental note to thank your best friend, Red Velvet's Joy, for bridging you two. If it wasn't for Joy, you wouldn't have met Irene.

"This smells delicious," Irene says from across the table, slicing the beef.

"I wanted it to be perfect for you," you answer.

"You could've given me instant ramen and it would still be perfect." She looks at you lovingly, and you feel like melting under her gaze.

"How did Seulgi react to your announcement?" you ask, suddenly worried about Irene's closest friends (especially Seulgi who is a crybaby).

"Oh, she cried," Irene tells you with a laugh. "But she's happy for me. For us."

"We should probably do something for the girls," you say. "Host a dinner party or something."

She nods in agreement. "Let's do it Friday next week." She locks eyes with you. "Hey... Since I'm retiring from RV, my schedule will be eased. Maybe it's time that you go back to work."

You stare at her in disbelief. You quickly swallow the food in your mouth. "I can be an architect again?!"

She gives you an encouraging smile. Tears of joy form in your eyes; you wipe them away before they fall to your cheeks.

Irene stands and walks to you, hugging you from behind. "And maybe... We can finally have a child of our own."

•••

A/N: TRIGGER WARNING!! Cheating and/or infidelity. I'm sorry I didn't add this before. I meant to but it must've slipped my mind. If it makes you uncomfortable, this story isn't for you.