Chapter Nine

It's past 11 pm when you get home. You're pretty certain that Irene and Kai have fallen asleep at this point. You slowly open the main door and, trying not to make any sound lest it alerts your wife, you tiptoe your way inside.

The hope that Irene's asleep gets thrown out of the window; you find her sitting on the couch. She's looking at you with dagger eyes.

"Hey, you," you greet. "Still up?"

"I was waiting for you, [Y/N]." Judging by the tone of her voice, you conclude that she is frustrated. "Where were you?"

"The office. I told you I'd work overtime."

You sit next to her and try to kiss her but she pulls away.

She frowns and crinkles her nose. "What the hell is that smell?!" she demands.

You sniff your shirt and freeze for a second; panic rushes to you as you detect Rosé's scent. You mentally smack yourself on the face.

Why wasn't I careful? you ask in your head.

"It's So-ya's perfume," you lie.

She raises a brow at you and you just know that she doesn't believe you. "Your secretary's perfume?"

"Yes." Your voice cracks and you clear your throat before continuing. "I got drenched with sweat back at the site and I was afraid I'd gotten stinky."

She still doesn't seem convinced but she doesn't push on. "Kai waited for you, [Y/N]. He was crying."

Guilt rushes over you because you remember that you promised Kai that you would watch his favorite movie with him tonight before bed. That didn't happen, of course, because you were with Rosé.

"I'll make it up to him," you say in a defeated voice. "I was just really busy."

"Don't make promises that you can't keep. Especially now that he still hasn't fully recovered," she chastises.

At this, you snap. "My hands are full, Joohyun. You know that."

"I do know that. That's why I'm telling you not to make promises to him because he holds onto everything you say, [Y/N]." She stands up and goes upstairs, leaving you feeling even guiltier than you already did just moments ago.

It's Saturday. You promised Kai that you'd spend the whole day with him and so far, you've been true to your word; just this morning, you and Irene took him to the park for a picnic. And right now, the three of you are watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in the living room.

"Eomeoni, I'm hungry," Kai says. "May I have some cookies?"

"You just had cookies this morning. That's too much sweets for a day," Irene replies. "How about a sandwich?"

He gladly nods and turns his attention back to the movie.

You and Irene haven't really talked much after the last argument. Which seems to be just fine for the two of you.

Something in the back of your mind, though, tells you that it isn't right. In the past, you and your wife would quickly patch things up after every disagreement.

You're fully aware that the last time was mostly your fault because you chose to spend the whole evening with Rosé. And you really did feel guilty, that's why you're making it up to Kai. But for some reason, you refuse to acknowledge that Irene deserves an apology, too.

Irene's phone dings, signaling a text message. You reach for it on the coffee table and see a text from her younger sister.

Joohyun unnie, you can send the money to my bank account. Thank you so much for your help.

Just then, Irene returns to the living room and sees you holding her phone. "Did someone text me?" she asks as she hands Kai the sandwich.

"It's your sister," you reply, looking at her with cold eyes. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

Without waiting for a response, you stand up and walk to the study. Irene follows you silently.

She shuts the door behind her and meets your gaze. She is puzzled by the sudden seriousness in your tone.

You hand her the phone to let her read her sister's text.

"Money?" you ask. You don't say much but she already knows what you mean.

"I'm sorry," she says. "I was going to tell you tonight. I'm going to lend my sister some money because she's starting a business of her own."

You pinch the bridge of your nose. "What business?"

"A record store here in Seoul."

You take a deep breath in an attempt to prolong your patience. "How many times has she borrowed money to start a business? What happened to the salon? Or the restaurant? The bowling alley? None of it worked out for her, Joohyun, because she can't run a business."

"She isn't alone this time," Irene explains in a calm manner. "She has a co-owner who'll help her out. And she's not asking for a big amount. Nothing we can't afford."

"Just because we're financially stable, doesn't mean you can just give money away," you retort.

"I'm not giving it away, [Y/N], I'm lending it to her. She will pay it back."

"Right." You make sure she hears the sarcasm in your voice. "Has she paid back the money she borrowed in the past?"

She looks at you with wide eyes. "This isn't anyone else, [Y/N]. It's my sister. She's family."

"Oh, am I not your family?" you snap. "Am I not your wife?"

The disbelief in her expression disappears, replaced by frustration. "It's my own hard-earned money."

"Oh. So now we're doing this, huh?" You push the inside of your cheek with your tongue. You're losing your patience at this point and it takes every fiber of your being not to scream at her. "Okay, then. I won't meddle with your life. Don't meddle with mine, either."

You walk past Irene and open the door; you find Kai standing a few feet away from it.

You ignore your son. You storm out of the house and get in your Range Rover.

I should've just spent my day off with Rosé, you think as you drive away.