Chapter Eighteen

You pull yourself together, wiping the waterfall of tears that are streaming down your face. You've been home for a little less than an hour but rather than entering the house, you've been crying your heart out inside your Range Rover.

As you get out of the vehicle, you brace yourself for whatever attitude Irene will have towards you. You understand that she's angry, because she's been hurt. You're not exactly in the position to dictate how she'll act around you especially considering what you did to her. Heck, you'd even accept it if she had thrown an axe at you.

It's past Kai's bedtime when you enter the house, which is why you're surprised when you see him watching a film in the living room.

"Mommy!" he exclaims when he sees you. He runs to you and wraps his little arms around your legs.

You plant a soft kiss on the top of his head. "Why are you still awake? Where is your eomeoni?"

"She didn't say where she's gone to," a voice answers. You look up and see Minjeong, Irene's younger sister. "All I know is that she'll stay out late."

"That's odd. Her car is parked in the garage. Do you know if she's with someone?"

She shakes her head in response.

"Mommy, I missed you," Kai says.

You shift your gaze back to your son. "I missed you too. Have you eaten?" He smiles and nods. "Good. It's past your bedtime, Kai. Let's get you ready for bed."

You give him a quick rinse and make him drink his milk (promising him he'd be tall enough to look Joy in the eyes as long as he'll drink his milk). Then you read him a bedtime story, The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

"Mommy?" he interrupts halfway through the book. "Are you and Eomeoni okay?"

You set the book aside and fix your gaze at him; he looks like he is about to cry.

"Eomeoni and I are okay, Kai," you lie. You know very well that nothing is okay right now. "Adults just get caught up in situations where conflicts arise. But I promise you that everything's fine."

"Please don't fight anymore," he pleads, pouting.

You peck him on the forehead. I'll make everything better, Kai, you say to him in your mind. For you.

You tuck him in and bid him goodnight.

Right after you've stepped out of Kai's room and shut the door behind you, your phone rings. You answer immediately, thinking it's Irene. "Hello?"

"[Y/N]," Yeri greets from the other line. "Sorry for bothering you."

"Ah, Kim Ye-rim. You're never a bother," you assure. "What is it?

"I am with Joohyun unnie at the bar that my cousin owns. She's wasted. I would've stayed the whole night by her side but I have a schedule tomorrow."

You're relieved to hear that Irene's with Yeri because you know that she'll never bring your wife to a place where people could swarm around them.

"I'll be there in fifteen. Thanks, Yeri."

You scan the bar, looking for your wife; you find her sitting on one of the barstools by the counter.

She twirls a scotch glass in her hand and she looks like she's lost in her thoughts.

"Kim Ye-rim," you call to Yeri in a low voice, making sure she's the only one who hears you.

"Oh, [Y/N], thanks so much for coming!"