Chapter Thirty

You come home to your wife packing her stuff. "Joohyun," you call to her. "What are you doing?"

"Packing my stuff," she says, stating the obvious.

"I know, but why are you doing this?"

Irene pauses and locks eyes with you. "Once the divorce is final, you will have full ownership of this house. Kai and I cannot stay here anymore."

"But the divorce isn't final yet," you retort. "We are still legally married. And as long as we are married, this is your house too."

"I want to leave this place as early as now." She gives you a small, sad smile. "I just want to make things easier for all of us, [Y/N]. Most especially for Kai."

"I hope you reconsider the custodial rights. We can co-parent."

"We are going to do just that, [Y/N]. You can come visit him whenever you like," she assures you. She gets back to packing her clothes. "Jung-rok will discuss your visitation rights on our next meeting with him. When Kai is a little older, he can stay with you over the weekends."

"Where are you going to stay?"

"To Umma's. Just until I've gotten a place of my own." She looks at you and smiles. "Minjeong will help me in taking care of Kai so you need not worry."

You watch as she neatly folds a sweater and puts it in her luggage. "When are you leaving?"

"In the morning. All our stuff won't fit in the Benz so I just need to borrow your Rover. I promise I'll return it the next day."

You try so hard to fight the urge to rush to her but you fail miserably; you hug her from behind ever so tightly, as if it would be for the last time.

"Is this what you really want?" you ask to her in a whisper. You are desperately trying to suppress the tears that are about to fall to your cheeks. "Joohyun, I love you."

She breaks away from your embrace. "Let's not do this, [Y/N]," she replies without looking at you. "Let's not make this harder than it should be."

"Eomeoni?" Kai's little voice calls. You find him standing at the entrance of the master's bedroom. "Why are you packing? Are you leaving?"

"We are leaving, Kai," she informs him. "We're going to stay with your grandma and Aunt Minjeong. So go to bed now; we'll leave in the morning."

"But my toys haven't been packed yet!" he argues, pouting. "I can't leave them behind."

"I'll pack them later, son," she assures him. "Please go to your room and try to sleep. I'll check on you later."

He runs to his room and you hear him slam his door shut. Irene breathes a sigh of relief before she goes back to packing.

"Joohyun, wait," you say in a soft voice. "Don't you think we are rushing? Kai does not even know that we are getting a divorce."

"He will realize it someday when he's old enough."

"I don't want him to feel as though we're dumping all these on him all at once. He's just a child. And he hasn't even fully recovered yet."

"Well, I can't think of a better way, [Y/N]," she shoots back, annoyed. "Our marriage has become a big mess. I don't want our divorce to get even more complicated. If you have any other suggestion so as not to make things hard on both of us, I am all ears."

You gently pull her by the arm and hug her. You caress her hair as you whisper, "I built this house for you and for our son. Don't leave." You pull away and look at her, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I will leave. You and our son stay here. I'll come back for my stuff tomorrow. As long as we are married, this is your house."

"But where will you spend the night?" she asks.

You give her a small, sad smile.

Oh, God, you think to yourself. How did we even end up in this situation?

"Do you want to talk about it?" Rosé asks as she hands you a glass of champagne.

You pull her by the waist and make her sit on your lap; she snakes her arms around your neck and pecks you on the lips. You can't help but smile despite your melancholia.

"Irene and I are getting a divorce," you tell her.

"I'm sorry."

You plant a soft kiss on her jaw. "Don't be. She and I both need it. Besides, Irene deserves to be happy. She deserves way better than this."

"I'm not sorry about your divorce, silly," she responds. "I'm saying sorry because I feel happy that you are getting a divorce. Once your divorce is final, I will have you all to myself and I can finally love you in the right way."

You look up at her, your expression suddenly cold. "How can you even say that? Irene is still my wife, Rosé. And we have a son."

She sighs. "I'm sorry. I can't help it." She traces the bridge of your nose with her index finger. "What about Kai?"

"We haven't told him yet. We'll break it to him gently once he's fully recovered." Your heart becomes heavy as you think about your clueless son. "Irene wants full custody of him."

"And are you okay with that?"

"God, no. But I have no choice. Besides, it's not like Irene will keep him away from me. She even said I could visit him whenever."

"Everything will be just fine, then. You and Irene are co-parenting." She kisses you softly on the lips. "And who knows? Maybe you and I can finally have a shot at our own family."

You smile up at the blondie. Somehow, Rosé has her own way to make things feel easier for you.

"I am glad that I met you, Roseanne Park," you say to her in all honesty.