Chapter Seven

"Mrs. Bae?" your secretary, So-ya, calls from the other line. "A client is here to see you."

You frown in confusion. You don't have any scheduled meetings today, and you most certainly don't accept walk-ins unless it's a direct order from your father.

"Please have them set an appointment, So-ya," you answer. "You know I don't accept walk-ins."

"I am sorry, Mrs. Bae, but she is insistent."

You glance at your watch; it's only 5:29 pm. You can still make time for one client. "Alright, send her in," you say in a defeated voice. "But no more than thirty minutes."

The door opens and Rosé enters your office. You look at her in disbelief.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," she says in her soft Aussie accent. You don't hide your confusion as you watch her lock the door behind her.

"I'm sorry, Rosé, but I am busy right now." You shift your gaze back to the monitor of your iMac, pretending to read something.

"Oh. Is that why I haven't heard from you in a week?"

Truth is you've been avoiding her. You've decided not to tell Irene about what happened but that you have to stop seeing Rosé.

You haven't even sent her an email or text; all the information regarding your project has been sent to her manager by your secretary.

You ignore her, hoping that she'll take the hint that you are dismissing her; instead, she walks to your desk and puts a box in front of you.

"What's that?" you ask, eyeing the pink box.

"I made you macarons."

You take a deep breath. "You didn't have to."

"I know." She sits on your lap. "But I wanted to." She slams her lips on yours, and you swear that your legs feel jelly and your heart will beat out of your chest at any moment.

And you know the right thing to do is to stop her. You know you should push her away and drag her out of the building. But instead, you strip her dress off.

You stare at your phone screen, re-reading for the nth time the text you've typed in.

I'll pick you up tomorrow. Let's go to the site together.

You know that you shouldn't see Rosé anymore but you can't help it; the more that you fight off the urge, the more that she pulls you right back to her.

"Mommy!" Kai calls, breaking you out of your trance. You lock your screen and put your phone down on the coffee table.

Your son sits on your lap. You plant a soft kiss on his forehead. "Hey, Kai. How are you?"

You lock eyes with him and the guilt towers over you; looking in his eyes is like looking in Irene's because they have the same.

His expression turns sour. "My goldfish died, Mom," he tells you.

"We'll buy you another one."

"No," Irene interjects. She sits on the couch next to you. "Not until he's old enough to take care of his pet."

You send Kai to play in his room. "You know he'll be upset," you say once your son is out of earshot.

"I know. But he really needs to learn first." She gives you a warm smile.

"Look, Joohyun, I need to talk to you."

Irene notices the sudden mood shift, and she becomes worried. "Is everything okay?"

Nothing's okay, you think.

"I just want to let you know that I'll be even busier in the coming weeks. Appa wants me to focus on the house that we're building for Rosé."

"Wow. She must be a VIP," she remarks.

"Well, she is a celebrity. If we mess up, it'll greatly affect the firm," you point out. "And she's by far the biggest client that we've had."

She nods in understanding. "Go do your thing, babe."