Chapter Four

You wake up and reach for the other side of the bed but Irene isn't there. You glance at the digital clock on your bedside table; it's 3:47 am.

"Where is she?" you ask. You rub the sleep off your eyes and push yourself off the bed to look for your wife.

You find her in the living room. She clutches a bottle of vodka. You don't see a glass around her, so you instantly know she's been drinking straight from the bottle. Her cheeks are flushed; she's drunk.

"Joohyun..." you coo.

She meets your gaze and you see in her eyes that she is tired. But she gives you a small smile. "Oh, we're finally talking now?"

You take a deep breath. You feel bad because you know that deep inside, she blames herself for what happened to Kai. And you two didn't even talk about it when you both got home.

You sit next to her and hold her hand. "I'm sorry," you say sincerely. "Your umma did her best in taking care of Kai. She didn't want this to happen."

She drinks from the bottle, her eyes looking thoughtful. "I'm sorry, too," she answers in a low voice that's just enough for you to hear. "It's not that I didn't trust your sister. I just didn't want our son to fight with his cousins again."

You nod in understanding. It's normal for Irene to feel that way about your nephews; after all, she is Kai's mother. And no parent will ever want their child to cry no matter the reason.

"[Y/N], I've made up my mind," she says, breaking you out of your reverie.

You raise an eyebrow at her. "About what?"

She sighs and looks at both your hands that are intertwined. "I'm not going to resume filming yet. I want Kai to fully recover. I want to be here for the two of you."

You shake your head in protest. "Don't worry about me, baby. I'll be fine."

"How can I not worry about you?" she retorts. Her brows are furrowed. "You're my wife. It's my job to make things easier for you. You focus on your work; I'll take care of you and our son."

"What about your work?"

"I will talk to the producers. They know my priorities, love. They know I'm a family person."

You're not the type who prays, but in that moment, your hand intertwined with Irene's as she clutches a bottle of vodka, you thank all the gods in all the realms for giving her to you.

You plant a soft kiss on the back of her hand. "I love you, Joohyun."

She flashes you a dazzling smile, one that's reserved just for you. "I love you, Mrs. Bae," she answers. "More than you know."

She tries to swig the vodka but you put your free hand on her arm to stop her. She watches with confused eyes as you take the bottle from her and disregard it on the coffee table.

You stand up. "Come with me," you say as you pull her up.

You lead her to the master's bedroom and kiss her passionately. There's something about her alcohol-laced mouth that makes you want her even more than you did earlier.

She pauses and rests her forehead on yours, her eyes shut.

"What is it?" you ask, your voice worried.

"I cannot imagine my life without you," she replies. You can hear the sincerity in her voice. "You and our little boy."

People want the original visual Irene Bae; they want her because she is beautiful and talented, and you do not deny that.

But it's moments like this one that reminds you who you love: beneath the Irene Bae that people know, there is Bae Joohyun, the woman who loves with all her heart. The one who will drop everything for the people that she cares about. And that is the woman that you are deeply and unconditionally in love with.

Lucky will never be enough to describe your fate; you are blessed to have this woman as your wife and the (other) mother of your child.

"Make love to me," she whispers.

But you need not be told. That is exactly what you are planning to do. After all, she deserves it.