Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Where are we going?" you ask Irene, briefly glancing at her. You immediately turn your eyes back on the road.

"We'll meet with my cousin's fiancé," she answers. "You'll know why later. We're almost there I think."

"Then we'll pick Kai up from your Umma's, right?"

"Certainly." She stays silent after that.

There also seems to be tension that surrounds the two of you. You've noticed it since last night when you came home but something in the back of your mind tells you not to point it out to her so as not to make matters worse.

You try to reach for her hand but she gently pulls it away. Without saying a word, you grip the steering wheel rather too tightly and drive in silence.

"We've arrived," Irene suddenly says, breaking the silence after about ten minutes. She points at a building that's just a few meters away.

You pull over in front of the building and turn off the engine. "I'm really confused now, Joohyun," you tell her in all honesty. "What are we doing here? Who's this person that we're meeting?"

She looks out the window and stays quiet for a few seconds. Then, she looks at you and forces a small smile. "Patience, darling," she answers in a low voice, barely enough for you to hear. "You'll know why very soon."

You simultaneously get out of the car. Your heart beats fast as you enter the building. Something feels off...

Irene walks ahead and approaches the reception. "Hi. I'm Bae Joohyun," she tells the woman at the other side of the table. "This is my wife, [Y/N]. We have an appointment with Mr. Kwon."

The lady, who looks to be in her mid 20's, recognizes her instantly. "Miss Irene!" she exclaims with a huge smile on her face. She hands two passes to Irene. "Mr. Kwon's been expecting you. His office is on the fourth floor."

Irene courteously bows to her before heading for the elevator. You silently follow her, still puzzled by the sudden need to meet with someone you don't even know.

"Mr. Kwon?" you ask once you've gotten on the lift. "Who is that?"

"I told you, he's my cousin's fiancé." She hands you one of the passes that was given to her. "He's a lawyer."

You raise an eyebrow at her. "What do we need a lawyer for?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "Just some things that need to be taken care of."

The elevator halts at the fourth floor. The doors slide open and you and Irene step out in sync.

A beautiful lady greets the two of you. "Mrs. Bae," she says, bowing to Irene.

"You must be Mr. Kwon's secretary," your wife answers. "This is [Y/N], my wife."

"Right this way, Mrs. Bae. Mr. Kwon cleared his schedule just for this meeting." She leads the two of you to the attorney's office, where a man who's about the same age as Irene awaits.

"Irene shi," he greets as soon as he sees her. He extends his hand. "It's wonderful to finally meet you."

Irene lets out a soft laugh as she shakes his hand. "Please call me Joohyun instead. You and I will be cousins in less than a year, so better get used to my real name as early as now."

The handsome man shifts his gaze to you. "And you must be [Y/N]. I am Atty. Kwon Jung-rok." He courteously bows to you. "I'm Jin-shim's fiancé."

"Ah, yes. Joohyun has mentioned," you answer with a smile, slightly bowing to him too.

"Please have a seat," he tells the two of you, gesturing for the couch. "Do you want coffee? Or tea?"

"Oh, no. I just want to get down to business," she replies as she settles down on the seat. You sit right next to her, still unable to figure out what this meeting is all about. "We're in a hurry."

Jung-rok sits on the armchair right across the couch. "Well... What can I do for you?"

Irene looks at you with a stern expression. She could've bore holes all over your body using her cold eyes if that were possible.

"I..." She trails off and takes a deep breath. She looks back at the lawyer and purses her lips before continuing. "I want a divorce, Attorney. Can you help me with that?"

And though you hear her loud and clear, it takes a couple of seconds before it sinks into you: she wants a divorce from you. She wants an out.

"Joohyun," you call to her. Your voice is shaking but you don't notice.

She locks eyes with you and forces a wry smile. "It's for the best, [Y/N]."

Jung-rok clears his throat, gaining yours and Irene's attentions. "Are you sure about this, Joohyun?" he asks in a serious tone.

She considers the question for a few seconds before she nods. "I am."

"Joohyun, you're making a rash decision," you desperately argue. "Why don't we go home and talk about this first?"

"There is nothing to talk about, [Y/N]. You cheated on me. I forgave you because I love you, and because I had to think of Kai. But you've done it again." She looks at you with a cold expression. "I told you, [Y/N], don't test my patience."

"Joohyun, please..."

"Did you honestly think I wouldn't find out that you and Rosé are still together? That she was with you in Thailand?" She chuckles as she wipes away beads of tears that have formed on the corners of her eyes. "I'm not stupid, [Y/N]. I told you I would find out, and I did."

She takes out a manila envelope from her purse and puts it on the coffee table, then she looks back at Jung-rok. "I have had enough. I just want this to be over. You'll find all the documents that you'll be needing in that envelope. She can keep the house. I want full custody of my son."

You grip the steering wheel as if you were holding onto it for dear life, trying so hard to fight off the tears that threaten to escape your eyes. "Won't you change your mind?" you plead. You make sure that she hears the desperation in your voice.

"I can't take it anymore, [Y/N]. I can no longer stand all your lies."

"Look, Joohyun..." You try to hold her hand but she pulls it away. "I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I'll leave her. We can start all over again, Joohyun. You, me and Kai. I'll leave her and try to make everything better. I love you. Please don't leave me." At this point, the tears just stream down your face.

"I love you, [Y/N]. More than you'll ever know," she answers sadly. You can tell by how her voice quakes that she, too, is crying. "But I just don't believe you anymore."

You open your mouth to say something but you get interrupted by her phone ringing.

You briefly watch as she clears her throat before answering the call. "Hello, Minjeong?" She falls silent as she listens to her sister; suddenly, her expression grows serious. You shift your gaze back on the road, waiting for the call to end so you can talk to her again.

"What is it?" you ask as soon as she ends the call.

"It's Kai," she tells you simply.

Though you don't know yet what's happening, you know fully well that she is frightened right now. You reach for her hand and hold it; you're relieved that this time, she doesn't pull it away.

"Let's go to our son," you say, momentarily forgetting about the divorce.