Chapter Twelve

"What happened?" Irene asks as soon as you enter the bedroom.

"I don't know what you're talking about," you answer, avoiding her eyes.

"At the after-party? Between you and Soo-young?" She takes a deep breath and you just know that she's holding her patience. "[Y/N], please tell me what happened. I hate it when the two of you fight because I always get caught up in the middle of it."

"We were talking and..." You trail off, hesitating. You're not sure how you'll tell her without making her suspect anything.

She folds her arms over her chest. "Should I ask Soo-young then?"

"Joohyun, I promise you it's not important."

You silently pray to God that Irene will just drop it, but she doesn't.

"Not important?" She chuckles in disbelief. "Did you see your best friend? She was trembling. She looked angry, [Y/N]. And she's never angry with you. Something happened. Tell me now, [Y/N]. Don't make me ask her."

"Listen, Joohyun," you coo. You walk to her and lock her up in an embrace. "It's nothing I can't handle. We just... Exchanged a few words. I'll let her cool down then I'll talk to her."

Her frustration subsides when she feels your arms around her body, but she still doesn't feel comfortable knowing that you and Joy have just fought.

"Please talk to her, okay?" she pleads. Her brows are furrowed and she looks like she's about to cry; she really hates it when things like this happen.

"I will," you promise.

I have to, you think to yourself. I don't want her to come running to you, Joohyun, and say that I am cheating.

"And you know that you can tell me anything," she says, snapping you out of your thoughts. "I'll always listen."

"I know that." You lean in and peck her on the forehead. "Thank you."

That night, while you listen to Irene breathing peacefully as she sleeps, you can't help but wonder how in the world Joy figured it out.

"Will you come see me today?" Rosé asks from the other line.

"I don't think we should see each other today, Ro," you answer. You make sure that she hears the disappointment in your voice. "Joy's suspecting something."

"About us?"

"Not really about us, babe. I don't think she knows about you."

"Has she told Irene?"

"Not yet. I'm on my way to her house as we speak. I'll talk to her." You make a sharp left turn. "I miss you, babe."

"I miss you too." You can hear the sincerity in her voice. "I'll visit you at the site tomorrow, then."

"I can't wait. I love you, Rosé."

"I love you, too, baby."

As soon as she hangs up, you recall that there was no trace of panic in the tone of her voice when you told her that Joy's suspecting something.

You pull over in front of Joy's house. You brush your hair with your palm. "Calm down," you tell yourself. "The more you're nervous, the more she'll suspect something."

You get out of the vehicle. Clutching the tulips you bought for Joy, you walk to the gate and ring the doorbell.

You stand outside for two good minutes and ring the doorbell thrice but to no avail, so you fish your phone out of the pocket and call her number.