Chapter Fifteen

"Why are you all dressed up?" you ask Irene as you watch her apply makeup on her face.

"Why are you not dressed up?" she shoots back.

It takes a full minute before you realize what's going on.

It's the weekend, and Irene promised Jennie she'd come to the party. And of course, your wife is expecting that you'll come with her.

"Shit," you mutter, pinching the bridge of your nose. "I'd completely forgotten. Are we running late?"

"Not really," she says. "You still have plenty of time to prepare."

You're just about to go to the bathroom when you remember that her sister promised to babysit tonight. "Where's your sister? We can't just leave Kai."

"She's on her way." She puts on her earrings and you can't help but stare at the beautiful face that happens to be your wife's. "What are you staring at?"

You stay silent for a couple of seconds just admiring the view before you respond. "You are very beautiful, Joohyun," you say wholeheartedly.

Just as you're about to step out of the room, Irene calls to you, "[Y/N]?"

You look back at her, waiting for her to say something. She chews on her lower lip and you know in an instant that she is hesitating.

"Tell me," you command.

She stares deep into your eyes for a few seconds although it feels like hours. "Is there anything that you need to tell me?" she finally asks.

You freeze. You don't know what she means by that but you think that she has figured out about you and Rosé.

Or, a voice in your mind adds, perhaps Jennie has ratted you out.

Panic builds up inside you as you ponder on the possibility that your wife knows. "Why the sudden seriousness?" you shoot back, unsure how you should answer her question.

"I just feel that there's something I should know. Just an intuition."

You think for a second before you respond, carefully choosing your words; you decide to play dumb. "I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand."

She takes a deep breath, exasperation evident on her face. "I may not know what's up but I know you, [Y/N]," she warns. "I am your wife. I know you. I know when you're hiding something from me."

You run a hand through your hair, once again carefully measuring your thoughts so that you won't end up saying the wrong thing. "It's just been very hectic at work, Joohyun. I'm sorry if you feel that way but I promise you it has nothing to do with us."

She squints her eyes, examining you. You fear that she sees right through your lie because she stays silent for what seems to be a full minute.

Much to your relief, though, she gives an almost imperceptible nod. "I trust you, babe," she tells you.

You turn your back on her and make your way to the bathroom to shower.

You also make a mental note to be even more careful lest Irene catches you and Rosé.

"Irene unnie," Jennie greets at the door. Judging by her stance and her unusually loud voice, she is drunk. "I'm so glad you could make it."

You watch as Irene gives the host a quick hug. "Thanks for having us," she says. She motions for you to step closer to greet Jennie.

"Thanks for the invite, Agassi," you say. "We brought wine."