Chapter Thirteen

"How was your talk with Joy?" Rosé asks from the passenger seat.

You're on your way to a Thai restaurant, where you'll have dinner with Rosé and the rest of her members. They want to celebrate the success of Lisa's solo album so they picked a Thai restaurant just for her. You were reluctant to join them but eventually agreed when Rosé promised that her friends wouldn't even dare suspect anything between the two of you.

"I tried my best to answer all her questions in the safest way possible," you answer simply.

It's the truth. You opened up to Joy without really revealing your dirty little secret.

"Do you think she believes you?"

"She's my best friend, baby." You roll your eyes. "She has faith in me. Always."

Horrible wife. Horrible friend, a voice in your mind says. You ignore it because you no longer want to feel even guiltier than you already do.

You pull over in front of the Thai restaurant. Just as she is about to open the door on her side, you hold Rosé's wrist.

She furrows her brows and worry floods her eyes. "What is it?"

"Are you sure it's okay for me to join you?" you ask. "You sure they won't be suspicious?"

Her upper lip curls to a smirk. "Baby, they think I'm straight. They won't be suspicious. I promise." She cups your cheek. "You don't need to worry."

She gives you one last reassuring nod before you both get out of the Range Rover. You try to take her hand but she pulls away.

"Public," she reminds you in a whisper.

A lady ushers you both to the table where the other three members of Blackpink await.

"Finally!" Jennie exclaims when she sees Rosé. "What took you so long?"

Rosé pecks all three of them on their cheeks, then she motions for you to step forward.

"This is [Y/N], the architect who's working on my home," she says. "We were in a meeting and I thought I'd invite her."

"Oh, yeah, she's Irene unnie's wife." Jennie smiles up at you. "I haven't seen you since Joy's birthday party."

"Hi!" Lisa says. Jisoo, who's seated at the head of the table, just smiles at you.

Rosé sits across Jennie and you settle on the chair next to hers, facing Lisa.

"Congrats on your solo, Lisa," you say. "I listened to the entire album."

"Thank you, [Y/N]," the Thai answers gleefully.

"Does Irene unnie know you're here?" Jennie asks.

"Yes." That's a lie. In fact, you haven't bothered checking up on her all day.

"I just hope she's okay. I'm really worried about her." She looks at Lisa and holds her hand. "I don't know what I'd do if it happened to me."

"I'm sorry, what?" you ask in confusion.

Jennie looks at you with wide eyes. "Oh my God. You don't know?"

"Know what?" Panic builds up inside you. You reach for Rosé's hand that rests on her lap and grips it.

"[Y/N], I think it's better that you talk to Irene unnie," Lisa chimes in.

You're about to excuse yourself to call your wife but Rosé interjects. "It was a tiring day for [Y/N]. Perhaps she can talk to Irene at home."

Jennie stares at her in disbelief.

"Yeah, okay," Lisa simply answers. "I guess it can wait."

You lock eyes with Rosé; you want to protest. But she almost imperceptibly shakes her head, signaling that she wants you to stay where you're at.

"Is that new?" Jisoo suddenly asks. You and Rosé whip your heads to her direction and you realize she's asking about the necklace that you gave Rosé.

"Oh, yes." She holds the pendant so that the others can have a better look.

"Oh, that must be from your mystery lover," Lisa teases, wiggling her brows.

"Alright, it is," Rosé confirms, exaggerating her Aussie accent.

Jennie leans forward. She rests her chin on her hand, elbow propped on the table. "So when are we meeting him, Ro? We're really dying to know who he is."

"He's... Not a public person. And our relationship is still a bit complicated." Rosé glances at you from the corner of her eye, and almost immediately looks back at Jennie.

"I hope he's the right one for you," Jennie replies with a smirk.

Your heart pounds in your chest as Jennie looks at you and smirks; none of her members seem to notice the gesture.

The girls talk about Lisa's solo success as you dine. The whole while, though, you aren't paying attention to anyone; all you can ever think of is that thing that Jennie and Lisa said about your wife.

"Where were you?" Irene asks as soon as you enter your home.

You find her sitting on the couch, downing a bottle of Jack Daniel all by herself. Her cheeks are flushed and her eyes squinted; she is drunk.

"I was at the site the whole day. Then I had to go back to the office and finish some paperwork." You sit next to her and eye the bottle of whiskey that she holds by its neck. "Drinking again?"

She chuckles and takes a swig straight from the bottle. "I was calling and texting but you didn't answer. I needed a release."

"I'm sorry, Joohyun." You want to reiterate that you were busy but you no longer want to lie any further, so you just keep your mouth shut afterwards.

"Why don't you rest? You must be tired."

"And you?"

"I'm not sleepy yet."

She's just about to swig the whiskey but you take the bottle from her and put it down on the coffee table. She looks at you sharply.

"That's enough drinking, Joohyun," you coo. "What's the problem?"

She laughs. "Do I have to have a problem before I could drink?"

"No. But you left me about 20 missed calls and 50 text messages. You wouldn't do that if you didn't have a problem."

She leans her head on the headrest and closes her eyes. She stays like that for a few minutes that you start to think she's fallen asleep.

There is sadness in her eyes when she opens them.

"I got fired from the movie I was filming," she says in a low voice.

"Why?"

"They could not wait for me any longer. They found another actress who doesn't have another commitment."

You hold her hand and give it a gentle squeeze. How could I not pick up the phone when my own wife needed me? you ask in your mind.

"I'm sorry, Joohyun," you say in all honesty.

She shrugs. "My manager will find me another project as soon as Kai has fully recovered. He's getting better each day so I'm sure I can get back to work pretty soon."

You lean in and peck her on the forehead. Though she does not say it, you know that she wanted that job and she's upset about losing it.