Chapter Twenty-Seven

You pull over in front of Rosé's apartment complex. "We're here," you announce in a cold voice.

"See you again tomorrow?" she asks.

You avoid looking in her eyes. "I'm not sure. I'll try."

From your peripheral vision, you watch as she runs a hand through her hair.

"[Y/N], are we okay?"

You furrow your brows, looking straight ahead. "Yeah. Why wouldn't we be?"

"Look at me, [Y/N]." You still refuse to meet her gaze so she forces you to look at her by making you turn your head towards her. "What is it? Tell me what's wrong, [Y/N]. You know that I will listen. I always listen."

You take a deep breath, carefully measuring your thoughts. "That song. The one you sang back at the beach house. What was that about?"

"The John Mayer song?" she retorts with a chuckle. "It was at the top of my head at that time, so I sang it."

"Really?" you challenge. "Because it seemed to me as though there was more to it."

She looks away; it's her turn now to refuse to meet your gaze.

"[Y/N], it was nothing."

"It wasn't just nothing, Rosé, and you know it."

She finally meets your gaze, and you recognize pain and anger in her eyes. "Alright, fine. It wasn't nothing. That song pretty much tells how I feel about this. And what about it, [Y/N]? What are you going to do?"

You softly kiss the back of her hand. "I'm sorry. I knew something was off but I didn't know that you felt like this. How can I help?"

Rosé bites her lower lip and carefully looks at you, as if you were a piece of art that she had to study. "Will you do anything for me?" she asks after a full minute of silence.

"Anything, darling," you respond almost instantly. "I'd do it all in a heartbeat for you."

She holds onto your hand so tightly, as if she were scared that you'd be snatched away from her at any moment. "Leave her. Leave her and choose me instead."

You stare at the blondie for a long time as she awaits your response.

You wait for her to tell you that it's just a bluff. One second... Two seconds... Three... Four...

You try so hard to hold it in but you fail miserably; you burst out into laughter.

She leans back on the backrest of the passenger seat, waiting for you to finish laughing your ass off. "Are you done?" she asks once you've recomposed yourself.

"I'm sorry," you say, struggling to fight back a smile. "That was just so sudden."

She chuckles. "This is no laughing matter, [Y/N]." She looks deep into your eyes, her orbs looking cold. "I am serious. If you love me, leave her for me."

And though you've heard her loud and clear, it takes you a moment before you realize that she is, in fact, serious. "Rosé..."

"You said you'd do anything for me." You hear the desperation in her voice and she looks like she's about to cry. "[Y/N], I can't stand this anymore. I can't stand being a horrible person."

"Hey, hush now," you coo. You reach for her and hug her to your chest. The moment you embrace her, she begins to sob. "You're not a horrible person, Rosé."

"No. I am," she answers through her tears. "I don't want to be, [Y/N], but I am."

"You're an amazing person," you tell her in a low, sweet voice. "You make me happy in ways I cannot even explain. And you make me feel valid. You make me feel heard. You respect me as an equal, Ro. I never felt this way with Irene; all throughout our marriage, she gets the final say. She gets her way. But with you, darling, it's different."

She pulls away from the hug and wipes her tears away. She locks eyes with you, and your heart breaks at the sight of her orbs: they look sad and in great pain. She is sad and in great pain.

"I love you. And you know that, right? I love you, [Y/N]." She reaches for your hand and plants a soft kiss on it. "I want to love you the right way. I want to build a life with you. It's you that I want. Please, [Y/N], choose me."

You gently retract your hand from her hold and pinch the bridge of your nose. "I love you, Rosé. More than I could ever say." You swallow the lump in your throat, desperately trying to fight back the tears that threaten to escape your eyes. "But I cannot leave her just like that. Irene is my wife. We have a son."

"We'll figure it out together, darling," she insists. "You can leave her without having to leave your son. We'll figure it out."

"Rosé," you call in a stern voice. "I'm sorry. I cannot."

Rosé looks out the window and runs a hand through her hair. She remains silent for a full minute.

Finally, she clears her throat and meets your gaze. "I better get inside, then. Thanks for the ride, [Y/N]."

She collects her things and gets out of the vehicle. Without even a final glance at you, she goes inside the apartment complex.

"God," you mutter to yourself as you start the engine of your Range Rover. "I'm so stupid."

Due to the heavy traffic, it takes an hour to drive to your house. It's past 7 pm when you get home though, just in time for dinner.

You expect Kai to come running to you as soon as you enter, but he doesn't. The house also seems quieter than usual. "Joohyun?" you call.

"In here!" Irene answers from the study.

You head there and find her going over some files. "Looking for something?"

"Oh no. I'm just organizing some stuff." She looks at you and smiles. "How was Thailand?"

"I had fun. It would've been better if you were there, though." You walk to her and pull her to a hug. "Where is Kai?"

"He's staying the night with Umma," she responds, shifting her gaze back to the files that she was looking at just moments ago. You even spot a copy of your marriage certificate. "Minjeong is with him too."

You try to kiss her but she backs away and turns her back on you. You furrow your brows at her but decide to not point it out anymore. "I missed you."

Irene doesn't answer; she doesn't even look at you. She just continues to organize the files and put them in a manila envelope, then she hides it in a drawer.

She shifts her gaze back to you when she's finished putting away the stuff. Finally, she gives you a small smile. "Come, let's have dinner," she says. "And by the way, we're off somewhere tomorrow."

You arch an eyebrow. "Where to?"

"You'll know."