Chapter Thirty-Three

You signal for another round of rum cola, and the waiter obliges. You've lost count of how long you've been drinking but as far as you recall, you've downed eight glasses so far.

The background music transitions from one song to another; you can't help but snort as the intro plays.

"Hey, Romeo," you call to the bartender. "What the fuck? Who in their right mind would even think of playing this song in a bar? This doesn't set the mood!"

Romeo, the bartender who happens to be someone you know from childhood, laughs. "We really play chill or slow songs when there aren't a lot of customers," he responds. "Give our ears some rest from the loud party music."

You shake your head and down the alcohol in four chugs. You need not signal for yet another glass as Romeo already sets it down in front of you.

Seeing that you have no choice but to listen to the song that's already playing, you just let yourself get lost in the melancholia.

I've been led on
To think that we've been
Trying for too long
Every time we drift
We're forcing what is wrong
At last that voice is gone

Please take your time
But you've got to know that
I am taking sight
Oh, you look good
with your patient face and wandering eye
Don't hold this war inside

Come back when you can
Let go, you'll understand
You've done nothing at all to make me love you less
So come back when you can

You picture your ex-wife's face. Months after the divorce, you still ask yourself every single night how you could even think about hurting her in any way. She had been good to you. She did have her fair share of faults but none of them ever equated to her deserving to be cheated on.

You shake your head, feeling sorry for yourself for losing a woman that would've stolen the stars for you. "I'm so fucking stupid," you mutter to yourself.

You left your home
You're so far from
Everything you know
Your big dream is
Crashing down and out your door
Wake up and dream once more

Come back when you can
Let go, you'll understand
You've done nothing at all to make me love you less
So come back when you can

You chuckle at yourself. If only you could tell that to Irene... If only you could ask her to come back and give your love another shot.

But you know you shouldn't force her to go back to the path that broke her. Irene deserves everything good that the universe could offer, and you know to yourself that you cannot give it to her.

Come back, I'll help you stand
Let go and hold my hand
If all you wanted was me, I'd give you nothing less
So come back when you can

"Stupid [Y/N]," you whisper to yourself. "I deserve to be left alone."

"Two shots of tequila, please," a loud voice of a female to your right says. The owner of the voice then shifts her gaze to you. "You look like you need a friend."

You smirk; you already know who she is. You would recognize that voice even in a crowded place.

"I don't want any friend; I want my best friend," you answer, meeting Joy's gaze.

She pulls you to a tight hug; it's so sudden that you almost fall from your chair. "I've missed you so much." She pulls away and hits your arm rather sharply that you wince. "Motherfucker. You never visited me. You never called."

You let out a low, short laugh. "You were angry, Soo-young. You refused to talk to me without starting a fight," you remind her.

"Of course I was angry, asshole! Who wouldn't be?" She frowns at you and hits your arm again. "Still, you should've called. I would've forgiven you."