Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Another asthma attack?" Irene repeats in disbelief. She runs a hand through her hair. "But I thought he was all better."

"I thought so too, Unnie," Minjeong answers. "That was why I let him play soccer. I didn't expect this to happen. I'm so sorry, Unnie."

You plant a soft kiss on the top of Kai's head. "Hey, you," you say to him in almost a whisper lest he wakes up. "You get better soon, okay? So we can get out of here as soon as we can."

Irene gently touches his forehead with her palm. Her eyes look worried and she looks like she's about to cry. "How severe was the attack, Minjeong?"

"He literally couldn't breathe, Unnie." The younger woman replies. "He even passed out on our way here. The doctor said it was a good thing that we brought him here because the attack was life-threatening."

At this point, Irene is unable to control herself any longer; she begins to sob as she realizes that Kai could've died. She presses her lips on the boy's forehead. "Oh my God, Kai, I am so sorry," she whispers through her tears.

"Hey, shush," you coo. You hold her hand and give it a gentle squeeze. "He's fine. He'll be fine."

She hugs you and cries to your shoulder. "He could've died, [Y/N]. We could've lost him."

You put your arms around her as she continues to cry. "It's okay. Our boy's strong." You look at her sister, who's silently looking at your son. "Minjeong, we'll take it from here. Thank you."

As soon as she turns her attention to you, her expression darkens. She could've given you a death stare if that were possible.

She finally clears her throat after a full minute. "I'll go and find Umma," she says to Irene. "I'll come back, Unnie."

Once Minjeong has stepped out of the room, you pull Irene to the couch by the window and guide her body to take a seat. She's still too caught up with Kai's current situation to even notice.

She searches your eyes and she looks like she's about to have another breakdown. "What if something bad happens, [Y/N]?" she asks in desperation. "I wouldn't be able to forgive myself!"

You wipe her tears away. The truth is that deep inside, you are trying so hard not to panic. One of you needs to at least be calm in this situation; it wouldn't be healthy if both Kai's parents were in shreds.

"No one expected this, Joohyun," you say to her in a soothing tone. "He had gotten better and we didn't foresee that he'd have another severe attack. Please don't blame yourself."

She rests her head on her hands, elbows propped on her lap. She stays like that for a moment. "He just wanted to stay the night with his grandma and aunt. I thought that it would be good for him." She sits up straight and looks at him.

You turn your attention to Kai and watch him in silence. He really does look a lot like his eomeoni, you think to yourself.

"Joohyun, I know that this isn't the right time to talk about this," you say in a low voice. "But will you please reconsider the divorce? For our son. Please."

Your wife chuckles. "[Y/N], I can't. I have made up my mind. It'll be better for all of us, even Kai."

"Joohyun—"

"If we lock ourselves in this marriage, we'll never be happy," she snaps, interrupting you. "We tried to make it right, didn't we? I forgave you. I tried to trust you but you still did it. You still cheated on me."

You take her hand and give it a long kiss. "I cannot lose you, Joohyun. I'm sorry." Tears have started to stream down your face like waterfalls. "I'll make it all better. I'll do it right this time around. Please, I can't lose you."