Chapter Twenty-One

"How's the Salisbury steak?" Rosé asks from across the table.

"It's amazing," you answer with a smile. "Thanks for cooking for me today."

"Not a problem. It's actually Jennie unnie's recipe."

You frown at the mention of Jennie's name. You hold no proof at all that Jennie was the one who told on you but still, you are convinced it was her. You're not usually the type of person who hates people based on your unverified hunches but it's a different story with Blackpink's leader.

As you're contemplating how much you hate Jennie for something that you're not even sure if she actually did, your mind wanders to Irene and what she told you last night back at Joy's house. How she warned you just sends shivers down your spine.

I think she knows that I started seeing Rosé again, you think to yourself.

"Baby?" Rosé calls, breaking you out of your reverie. "You're not paying attention."

You take a deep breath, feeling embarrassed for spacing out. "I'm sorry. You were saying?"

She squints her eyes at you. "Is there a problem, [Y/N]? You can talk to me anytime."

"It's just that..." You run a hand through your hair. You feel nervous to even think about it but you have to get it out of your chest. "We need to be even more careful now more than ever. Irene talked to me."

This alerts her too, and she stares at you in horror. "Does she know that we got back together?"

"She didn't really say that exactly but the way she talked, she sounded as if she knew. Maybe she does know. Maybe she doesn't. I don't know, babe." You set down the fork that you're holding and rub your left temple. "I think she knows that something is up though. Or at least she has a feeling, a hunch. All I'm saying is that we should be—"

"Careful," she finishes for you. "Yes, I know."

"It's hard for me too, you know? Relationships shouldn't even be this hard." You frown, feeling frustrated about the cards you've been dealt.

"Relationships aren't as hard as you think," she retorts, chuckling as she finishes the sentence. "It's just that you are married. That is what's making us complicated."

You stare at the beautiful woman that sits before you. You want to give her the whole world. You want to show her off to everyone, to shout out to the heavens that you love her.

You want to spend each second with her for the rest of your life.

But you can't. Because you are married to someone else.

"Why didn't you come to me sooner?" you ask her. You give her a small smile but you know that there is sadness in your eyes.

"Why didn't you wait for me?" she shoots back, the sound of her voice matching the look in your eyes. "Why did you get married before I could come into your life?"

"I didn't know you were gonna come," you answer. "If only I'd known."

She looks down on the table, lost in her own thoughts. You know that this is as hard for her as it is for you. Even if she doesn't say it, you know that she wants a free relationship where you two won't have to hide from anyone.

When her eyes meet yours, you see the pain that they hold. You feel a pang in your chest as you realize how much this has been hurting her.

"If you'd met me sooner... Would you have married me instead of her?" she asks in a low voice, just enough for you to hear.

You don't answer. You love the woman that is in front of you. So much that you even risk destroying your own family just to be with her even though you know it is sinful.

But you also love the woman that you chose to marry. Even though it's hard to see it considering what you're doing right now, you love her and you know deep in your bones that you would never take another woman to be your wife.

In your silence, Rosé finds the answer. She looks up at the ceiling and you know that she's trying so hard to stop herself from breaking down.

It breaks your heart to see her sad. Quick, you tell yourself in your mind. Think of a way to brighten up her mood.

You scan her luxurious apartment and spot her piano. You rise from your seat and walk to it.

"Do you play?" Rosé asks in disbelief.

You simply look at her and smile as you pull up the lid. "I don't sing well," you warn her with a sheepish smile on your face. "But there's this song I've been dying to sing to you."

"Since when?"

"Since the day I first met you."

It takes every fiber of your being to tear your eyes off the blondie but you manage. You focus as your fingers gently press the keys.

You usually only sing for Irene. But today, you make an exception — a very special one.

"I find it hard to say 'bye bye'
Even in the state of you and I
And how can I refuse?
Yeah you rid me of the blues
Ever since you came into my life"

You can't help but smile as you recall the first time you met Rosé; the rush of electricity that you felt through your veins every time your skin would touch hers, the way she smiled at you and how the sound of her voice seemed to make your heart beat out of your chest.

"Cause you're my medicine
Yeah, you're medicine
Yeah, you're my medicine
You're medicine

I, I wanna marry you
Said I, I adore you
And that's all I have to say, bye-bye
And you opiate this hazy head of mine"

It's funny how that part is true; she really does opiate your head. And you love it. You love how addicted you are to her.

"Cause you're my medicine
Yeah, you're medicine
Yeah, you're my medicine
You're medicine

Cause you're my medicine
Yeah, you're medicine
Yeah, you're my medicine
You're medicine
You're medicine"

Your heart flutters when you suddenly feel Rosé hugging you from behind as you play the outro of the song. You didn't even notice that she's snuck up behind you.

"I love you," she whispers to your ear once the song is finished.

"I love you too, Roseanne Park. More than I could ever tell you."

•••

A/N: The song featured in this chapter is Medicine by The 1975.