5: Belief

The commander hummed softly and kneeled down, helping the young boy get back up as he patted the dirt and soil off Haru's back, giving him a small grin of reassurance

"Gwaenchana, Haru?" Kang-min asked in concern and wiped out the excess dirt on Haru's shirt.

"N-nde, Commander." Haru bobbed his head, ready to carry on with the mile run before he felt a small tug on his shirt by Kang-min which surprised the young boy who stared at him confusedly. "C-Commander Kang-min?"

"I believe that's enough for today, Haru. Time's up, you.....you didn't pass..." Kang-min sighed in an apologetic tone and rubbed the startled Haru's back. The boy widened his eyes at the commander's statement, looking in front again to see how far he still was from his winning point, feeling his knees turning jelly.

"B-but I-...I can still do it-..."

"Keep your chin up, my boy. One failure will not stop you from a hundred more efforts. You can always try again." Kang-min tried his best to cheer the frowning Haru up, grinning softly and rubbing his back gently. "Cheer up, take a rest for now, tomorrow...you can do it."

Haru bit his lip and stared at his target board far in front of him, untouched at all with no bullet holes, insultingly putting shame on him as it reflected him of his failure that would be used to describe him. And he felt even more shame the moment he spotted Songhan heaving a heavy sigh and deciding to leave the area all by himself without taking one last look at his son. It sure did break something inside him, but nonetheless, the young boy sighed in defeat and walked with Kang-min by his side.

-

The sound of soft footsteps walking on the yellowish green grass echoed in the vast field

The sound of soft footsteps walking on the yellowish green grass echoed in the vast field. Kang-min and Haru walked together towards the other cadets who had gathered at the starting line, and the young boy was enveloped in shame and disappointment at himself having failed this test just because he allowed himself to be provoked by bitter words.

Arriving at the meeting point, Kang-min gently pushed Haru into gathering with the other cadets, some who were chatting about the exhausting mile run which turned their legs to jelly. Haru could see the gazes of some of the cadets who either felt pity or disdain for him, and it made him wish he didn't attend this test today, looking down slightly nervous and regretful. Kang-min, who seemed to know what Haru was feeling right now, let out a small sigh and gently stroked the boy's back, letting him know that he would face this tough.