23: Pasar Rame/Chaos Market

Songhan let out a small sigh and rubbed his right fist, the one he used to punch the colonel earlier

Songhan let out a small sigh and rubbed his right fist, the one he used to punch the colonel earlier. The general then held Kang-min's shoulder and smiled sincerely at him before he proceeded to walk to the other soldiers, starting to give them orders. Kang-min was about to follow but then his peripheral vision caught sight of a familiar old man standing behind the fences as he stood amongst the crowd of Mediums who were now cheering for their safety. Wasting no time, the commander rushed to the fences and the old man quickly spotted him, widening his eyes.

"A-abeoji! Thank God you're safe!" Kang-min half-laughed half-cried, hands gripping on the fences.

"A-aigoo, Kang-min-ah, I thought I lost you, I-I'm so glad you're alive..." his father chuckled and held his son's hands through the holes of the fences. Kang-min took his time pouring his emotions, thanking the skies above him for saving his father and bringing him back to him safely.

"So am I, abeoji, so am I." Kang-min couldn't contain his happiness, small tears escaping his eyes. He then looked around himself and faced the old man before him once more. "Abeoji, listen- listen to me arasseo? The underground bunkers here are too packed, so you and the Mediums will be evacuated to the other bunkers, a-arasseo?" he panted.

"B-b-but what about you, Kang-min? What are you going to do???" his father worriedly exclaimed, the sad concerned face of an old man breaking his son's heart over and over. Knowing he had to know the answer either way, Kang-min braced himself and looked at his father right in the eyes.

"Abeoji, listen to me, listen to me. Our world is in danger right now. A-a war, a war is going to begin soon, a war that determines the fate of everyone alive, I will have to fight in this war, abeoji, for the better of the world."

"Can't you just come and hide with us, Kang-min-ah?! I thought I lost you, and that nearly killed me, I don't want that to happen again, Kang-min-ah..." Kang-min's father cried. The commander gritted his teeth and closed his eyes shut tightly as more tears escaped, but then he moved his forehead against the fences, and held his father's hands tighter.

"I have to do this, abeoji, I have to prove that peace between humans and Mediums is possible, I....I'll make you proud.." Kang-min confidently remarked.

"I am already proud of you, Kang-min.." his father replied, pressing his forehead against his son's. "Just.....just promise me you better come back home alive, okay? Abeoji...abeoji doesn't want to see my son coming back in a casket...." he sobbed.

Kang-min knew this was a hard promise to make, but a promise's a promise, and so he nodded, the both of them pressing their foreheads against each other as they wished for each other's safety.

-