[Chapter 19] happy birthday.

"What color do you want to paint your room?" He shrugs as he looks around at the colors

"What color do you want to paint your room?" He shrugs as he looks around at the colors. We're finally cleaning the guest room out and letting him decorate it so he can have his own room.

"I've never been allowed to paint my room, I don't know," I sigh and take his hand before walking around.

"Okay, what's your favorite color?" I look at him and he stares into my eyes before answering.

"Green," I nod.

"Okay, pick a gr-"

"But I don't want to paint it green," I groan.

"And they say girls are indecisive." He rolls his eyes before looking around more. I take two-color cards. "Pick a number one through ten," he looks at them.

"Seven," I sigh and put one of the cards down.

"Light gray it is," I pick out the bucket before we look around Walmart a little more for him to fine decorations. I picked most of them. Boys are so basic.

At check out, I take out my dad's card. "I'm not letting your dad pay," he says grabbing his wallet out. I shake my head and push his hand down.

"Yes, you are."

__________________

"Shit!" I wave the towel at the fire detector.

"Take the cake out!"

Amber quickly opens the oven and takes the now burnt cake out. "Damn it!" I lean my elbows against the counter and groan. I told the boys to take Noah out for the day to do whatever guys do so that I can get everything ready.

He doesn't want a big party so I had a better idea. But the cake isn't going too well. Amelia and Amber smile sadly at me. "Maybe we can go buy one?" Lia suggests. I shake my head.

"We don't have time, Trent said they're coming back soon!" I snap. They both let out a sigh and sit at the island.

"Sorry, Noah's just never really celebrated his birthday so I want to do something for him and I'm messing it all up," I run my hand down my face.

"Carter, you could literally say happy birthday and that would be enough. Being in the same room as you is the only birthday gift that man wants," I roll my eyes without replying.

"I don't know what to do."

"I do," we all turn our heads to see my dad walk in with a box. He sets it on the counter and opens it. It's a chocolate cake that reads 'happy birthday Noah!' In frosting. I smile and hug my dad.

"Thank you. How'd you know?"

"Well you never got your mother's baking and cooking talents," I hit his shoulder and he laughs.

"I'm old you can't do that," I laugh and look at my friends.

"Throw out the burnt one," they laugh and nod before throwing it out. My parents agreed to take Cayden and stay in a hotel tonight so our friends could come to spend the night. They trust me luckily.