[Chapter 20] Dress codes.

"You missed a spot," Carter points at a spot in the corner that I missed with the paint

"You missed a spot," Carter points at a spot in the corner that I missed with the paint. We're painting my room right now, honestly, I've been putting it off, I'm used to sleeping in Carter's room I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep in here.

"You missed a spot," I point to her shirt and she looks down, I wipe my paintbrush down her face. Her mouth hangs open as she looks up at me.

"You asshole!" she drags her paintbrush down the front of my shirt. I laugh and try to grab her wrist so she'll stop but she chucks it at my face before it drops to the plastic on the floor that's covering the carpet.

"You're on," I grab her waist and she starts laughing but I stop once I realize I've stepped in the paint bucket. She snorts as I put her down.

"That's karma," she smiles and crosses her arms as I pull my sock off and chuck it at her. She squeals and bends down so it misses her.

We bend down and grab our paintbrushes before continuing on painting. After ten minutes she breaks the silence, "we need to talk." I knew this was coming. I clear my throat and look down at my feet.

"I'm not good for you, Carter," I let out a breath as she turns to me.

"What do you mean you're not good for me?" I swallow the lump in my throat and turn to face her.

"You've seen my parents, I don't have any aunts, uncles, or cousins. I don't know how to treat a woman right, I don't know how to be in a relationship." I watch as the color drains from her face and it breaks my heart.

"Is this about your dad?" She asks, stepping forward. "Because you are nothing like him, Noah." I close my eyes and shake my head.

"I can't," when I open them again I notice tears welling up in her eyes.

"Okay." Her voice breaks and she tosses the paintbrush into the bucket. She gives me one more look over before turning and walking out of the room.

I groan and lean against the wall. "Fuck," I pull away once I realize I have paint all over me now. Then I step in the paint bucket causing it to dump on me and the plastic."Fuck!"

God Damnit. I made her cry.

____________________