[Chapter 24] Thanksgiving.

"No that's not right Carter!" Her mom yells at Carter as she tries to cut strawberries

"No that's not right Carter!" Her mom yells at Carter as she tries to cut strawberries. She jumps and accidentally cuts herself.

"Damnit!" She drops the knife and holds her wrist. I drop the knife that I'm cutting onions with and rush over. I take her hand in mine and look at the cut.

"Move, I'll do it, you got blood everywhere," her mom pushes her aside. I roll my eyes before bringing her into the downstairs bathroom. I grab the first aid kit that I know is in the cabinet and take some Neosporin.

She runs her wrist under warm water before I apply it on and put a bandaid on her wrist. She just stares at the cut with no expression while I do it. "Are you okay?" She looks up at me, snapping out of whatever trance she was in. She clears her throat and nods before turning to exit the bathroom.

I grab her other wrist softly to stop her. "Carter," she sighs and looks down, knowing what I'm getting at.

"I promise I'm fine. I'm just gonna go change." I nod and let her leave and watch as she jogs up the stairs. Her mom is such an ass. I lean on the sink and close my eyes. Today is gonna be hard.

"You okay, son?" I look at the doorway to see her dad staring there. He called me son.

"Yeah, just tired." He nods and smiles at me.

"I know I'm not your family, Noah, but you can always talk to me," I nod and give him a quiet thank you before he walks off.

That's the thing though, he is my family. I just don't know if I'm his.

______________________

"Wake up," I stir to the sound of someone whispering in my ear. I open my eyes and see Cayden hovering over me and Carter. We decided to take a nap before her family got here, well we fell asleep watching some show, but the same thing.

"Our family is here. Get up!" Carter turns around in my arms and tuck's her head into my chest. "Sissy! Get up!" Cayden starts shaking her until she finally opens her eyes and rolls onto her back.

"Okay, we'll be down in a minute, Cay." He nods and jumps off of the bed and out of the room. She shakes her head rubs her eyes with the heel of her hand. Then she sits up and turns her head to me.

"Do I need to brush my hair?" I laugh and nod.

"Yeah, probably," she gets up and walks into her bathroom before her eyes get wide.

"Oh god."

After she brushes her hair we go downstairs. Cayden is right, the whole family is here. Well, I'm guessing the whole family. Cayden smiles when he sees us. "They're awake!" Everyone's heads turn to us. In the blink of an eye, her grandma is rushing over and pulling me into a hug.

"Hi, baby! I missed you so much!" She kisses my cheek and I look at Carter. She shrugs before her grandma pulls away and hugs her. "Hey, Car," then she walks away. Carter is standing with her mouth wide open.