[Chapter 27] Bad day.

I wince when I wake up to something digging into my wrist hard enough to draw blood

I wince when I wake up to something digging into my wrist hard enough to draw blood. I open my eyes, the moonlight being the only light shining into the room. Then I hear the quiet no's and stop's coming from the culprit.

Carter.

I try to shake her away but she doesn't budge and just keeps mumbling. "No, please." I freeze. What the hell is she dreaming about?

"Carter wake up!" I shake her again, wincing more when her squeezing gets harder, I can't even pull her hand off.

"Carter!" She snaps awake breathing hard. She sees me and immediately bursts into tears. I quickly move to pull her into my arms. "Carter breath," her hyperventilating gets worse.

"You're having a panic attack, just focus on my voice." I move my thumb in circles on her arms ignoring the stinging pain in mine. "Breath, it's okay. I'm here." After a few minutes of talking to her, she calms down and looks up at me.

"You want to tell me what happened?" I place a kiss on her cheek and she lets out a shaky breath.

"Rye." That's the only word I got out of her but I knew exactly what it was about. "I haven't had one of those nightmares in months." I sigh and pull her closer to me. She looks back down and sees my wrists.

"I'm sorry," she chokes out the words and I can hear in her voice that the tears are coming back.

"No, don't do that. You were asleep. You had no control over it. I'm okay." She closes her eyes for a few seconds before rolling over and getting off of the bed. Carter holds out her hand for me, I take it and follow her into the bathroom.

She grabs the first aid kit and hops up on the counter. She reaches out for my hand which I give to her. I hiss when she applies the alcohol on the nail marks. "Sorry," after cleaning them she wraps it up instead of putting a bandaid so it will wrap all of the marks.

"we're sleeping in your room." I nod as she jumps off the counter and drags me to my room.

She tucks herself into my side when we get under the covers. "So..you want to watch a movie?" She asks me, I turn my head to look at the alarm clock on my nightstand.

"Babe, it's three in the morning."

"Oh." Although the moonlight is the only one shining in the room I can still see the look in her eyes telling me she's not going back to sleep. I sigh and grab the remote and turn on the tv.

"What do you want to watch?" She looks up at me and smiles.

_______________________

We both look dead when we walk into school at eight. Amber decides to say something about it. "God damn. You look horrible." She directs it more to Carter. Carter threw on sweats and one of my sweatshirts, brushed her teeth, put her hair up and we left.