Chapter 24

"We need to check the dungeons." I groaned. We had been arguing about this for three consecutive days now. After Theodore and I got back and I filled everyone in on what Blight said, we all decided to take our time to discuss the pros and cons of going to the dungeons. It was a good plan. But I didn't think it would take nearly this long.

"I trust my sister," Theodore argued.

"I don't trust her Theodore. I need to see for myself what is true." I replied. My tone was bored, we had been going round in circles like this since Theodore and I got back. "Why are you so afraid to prove me wrong, Theodore?" I lifted my head to look at him. He was sitting on one of the chairs in my room, Obi and Lynx had curled into each other on the other one, and I was laying on the couch with my head on Orions lap and my legs draped over Ambrose. Orion and I had been growing closer, but I was afraid it's all an act. I didn't think I could let my guard down.

Everyone but Theodore was ready to search the dungeons. He always argued that he would know if there were creatures being held hostage in his own home. Even Orion agreed with my need to know for certain. "I am not afraid to prove you wrong, Sapphire. I'm afraid you'll be right, and that is a door I will not open." He said solemnly.

"If you're having those thoughts then the door is already open, Theodore. You can close it with certainty." I pleaded as I looked up at Orion. He was running his fingers throughout my bangs. For the last three days Eboni had forbade us from exploring or leaving our household. We were truly prisoners.

Ambrose slid my legs from his lap and moved over to Theodore, perching himself on the arm of his chair. He whispered something in his ear and ran his hands over his hair. I watched Theodore physically relax. He whispered back and forth with Ambrose for a few moments of anticipation. I caught Lynx's gaze and it was all I could do to not break into howling joyous laughter. Obi was too relaxed in Lynx's arms to notice. I turned my gaze to Orion, he was staring right at me. He was looking at me like I was on display in an art gallery.

His hand ran soothing lines on my cheek and without realizing what I was doing, I leaned into the contact and sparks danced under my skin. I looked at him, examining his strong jaw that seemed to ebb and flow with tension. I looked at his soft looking lips and his perfectly formed nose. I brought my hand to his cheek and felt his smooth skin beneath my fingers. Our gazes connected again and the world fell away. He smiled a little and brought his hands under my back and knees lifting me to a seated position in his lap.

His stare felt warm and comforting, like a weighted blanket. He brought his hand to my chin and ran lines with his fingers down my jaw. I was vaguely aware of other people in the room, but I didn't really care about them right now. There was only Orion and me. 'God you're beautiful' Orion's voice sounded in my mind much like Ambrose's would.

'Can you hear me think?' I asked. He nodded a confirmation, 'how?'

'I don't know... I just wanted to speak to you, but the words were only meant for your ears. No one else should hear them.' He whispered in my mind. The words brushed nerves inside my skull that sent shivers down my spine and a warmth into my stomach. He leaned his head closer to mine, 'I really want to kiss you right now.'

I laughed mentally, 'but there are other people here...' I trailed off leaning in closer. Our lips were beginning to brush as Theodore spoke.

"I suppose you're right," Theodore conceded. I turned to him and gave a small cheer. "How would we even get to search when you all are confined to your rooms?"

"Arastoo." I replied plainly. As if in response, a bookshelf swung open and a torch lit passageway was revealed. I jumped up from my place on Orion and dusted myself off. I was dressed in a dress that fell just to the middle of my thighs. It had a black bodice with embroidered gold embellishments, and a black skirt with a light see through golden chiffon layer over it. I was wearing matching soulless socks with it and my hair was down, sprawling down my back and around my shoulders. "Let's go before Eboni comes to check on me." I said as I bounced to the doorway.