ONE

WARNINGS: alcoholism

The war was over but the war in his mind was only beginning

The war was over but the war in his mind was only beginning. Sirius Black had done things he promised himself he would never do. Things he would think about over and over again until it drove him mad. Things he wanted to forget but couldn't even if he was forgiven. Because they would never be forgotten.

His mind was on overdrive even as he drowned his sorrows in the fire whiskey from the bar under his flat. The once stack load of cash he had accumulated from his uncle was washed away in liquor, packs of cigarettes and rent money for an overpriced flat that was worse then his home at Grimwauld. And instead of being rich like he should be, he was in massive debt.

The old clock on the wall chimed for the sixth time since he had gotten here. It was four am and Sirius Black was passed out on a bar stool left alone finally able to silence the thoughts as his mind couldn't process anything.

A women, her hair grey and tied back in an elegant bun with her black dress perfectly perfectly pressed. She walked over to the man and sat next to him, taking off her hat and glasses to look over at the boy. "What have you become?"

"Nothing." Sirius's grey eyes were daunting for the old women to see. The way they were dazed and unable to respond. How his breath reeked of alcohol.

"Euphemia and Fleamont are worried for you. They all miss you Sirius."

"It's all lies Minnie. I'm the reason they almost died. I'm the reason Regulus is dead."

"Your carrying a heavy load there, Mr. Black."

"Who else is going to?" His head rested on the table as if it weighed to much for him to hold up, like the weight of his mind was actually to much for him.

"Get up. And follow me."

"Minnie."

"Get up now Sirius or I will bring Mr. Lupin here. I will bring them all here."

Sirius looked to his teacher, the first women who ever showed him what a mother should be like and tested her with the simple look of his eyes. But after knowing her for over ten years he knew she wasn't lying. He stumbled off the bar stool and walked out the door letting the blinding sun hit him in the face as it rose and the cold air shock him awake.

"Don't you need to get anything? Your bags, clothes?"

"Sold it all for money."

"Where is this money?"

"I drank it." Sirius smirked as he kept walking not noticing the solemn look she gave.

They walked all the way to the familiar red train that was waiting for them. The floors were filled with dust and the train looked old and broken down.

"What happened here?" Sirius asked.

"Hogwarts was turned to rubble in the war Sirius, fixing it is taking time, there's only a handful of students there and they are only there because their parents were killed there. They have no where to go."

"That's — I don't even know."

"It's hard for sure but what else do we do, kick them out? We're trying to find them all homes, somewhere safe."

Sirius nodded and sat down about to fall asleep before McGonagall kicked him in the shins, "bloody hell women!"

"Shower, change, get the stench of alcohol off you, there will be children there Sirius."

The man scowled at the women but listened her showered in the small place where the teachers can on the train and changed into dark grey sweatpants along with a black shirt. His once long hair was gone and it was short, looking like it did when he was a child other then the beard that filled his face from being to lazy to shave. He rinsed his mouth in mouth wash getting the familiar taste to leave and change it for the old taste of mint. And before he left he pulled over his old Gryffindor quidditch jumper from his last year of school, as much as he wanted to rip it up he couldn't, because it wasn't his. It was James's.

"Damn you Minnie."

The train lurched to a stop and he walked out following the women out and up to the castle. She was right. Rubble was everywhere, the doors were off hinges allowing the cold to get in and the old glass windows were all broken.

The women walked through the school, a gross scent filling their noses as they passed certain rooms until they made it to the great hall where everyone had been living.

"Welcome to the rebuilding Sirius. I truly hope you decide stay, and maybe while you rebuild a place you once called home, you shall learn to rebuild yourself."