29

𝚆𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜

"Hey boo, you know what I thought about?"

"What?"

"Your family don't remember me from the baby shower? Besides your mama and nem?"

"They do, they was just being dramatic cause whole time they were lowkey rooting for us to be together. Especially my mom."

"So they was clownin you?" I chuckled.

"Yeah they don't like ole girl."

"Where she at by the way?" I wondered tracing one of the tattoos on the arm he had wrapped around me. He had forced me to take a break from reading the chest and we've laying in the bed since then especially cause he had a slight headache.

"Locked up in the trap basement, we couldn't risk her ass running or anything while we was gone. We're close to solving that shit once and for all. She is related to Trixie and already revealed her true self and let me tell you that's an interesting creature."

"What she look like?"

"She has everything of a succubus, but on steroids. She almost got Pooter dumbass."

"Oh? And how'd you do?" I teased watching his facial expression change.

"The only person I want is you and can't nobody break this bond we got." He said making me smile and I cuddled closer to him.

It was quiet between us and peaceful. My mind began to wonder though about this whole voodoo Queen thing and how in the world was I suppose to step into that title so suddenly. I have the ability to do certain things that I've read, but it's so much more to it and I didn't know how to handle it to be honest. This is a lot of power to be given or blessed with.

"What's on your mind?"

"This whole voodoo Queen thing, I mean it's just happening kinda fast, but then I'm forgetting the reason for that may be my close mindedness and the fact that I did try to die awhile ago." I said trying to make sense of my reality that seemed to only be in books or movies.

"That's exactly why and not because you were close minded. You have much bigger purpose as you can see and they wasn't havin allat suicide shit. They didn't know how long it would take for you to get back right, so they went ahead and made it known who you are and why you're not allowed to die."

"Hm, so had that not happen, what would've happened?"

"I'll tell you, you probably wouldn't have gotten your book yet. It's always in the journey more than the destination rather than any other factors."

"Really? That makes it more-" I shot up and out of his grip causing him to bounce back a little and I damn near slid across the floor to the chest. I started mumbling to myself as I fiddle with the message and lock.

"You okay ma? You on them drugs again?" Aza came over next to me and I shh'd him while still fiddling and I sanded off an image to reveal more coding, the proper coding.

"It's not about the destination. . . It's not about what it means, but who it belongs to which would be the ancestors born in Haiti, the code is In creole!" I jumped up excited. "Aza what does this mean?" I asked showing him the new message.

Kouri lapli, tonbe larivyè.

"It's an old Haitian saying, In avoiding one thing, we fall into something worse. My moms says it all the time."

"Okay and the lock is like the keypad on an old phone, the letter correlate to a number!" I said and he helped me to unlock it and once we put in the last number it clicked signifying that is was now opened.

"We did it Riyah! We finally did it!" I smiled in satisfaction looking at him.

"Open it," He motioned for me to do so and we finally did revealing a shit load of items within the chest. Amongst these items we began pulling out came the codex, now in my hands and it began glowing."

"That wasn't in the papers! Orchid!" I yelped seeing that I couldn't let it go after trying to drop it.

"Calm down Sev, calm down!"

"But it's bright and it-" I was cut off by the codex flowing out with its bright black and red beam which swirled around each other like a DNA strand before folding and shooting into my body causing me to fall, but Azariyah caught me once it ended and it ended with a sort of chime.

"What the fuck just happened?" I said breathing heavy.

"You just got all yo abilities," He smiled genuinely at me.

"Abilities? I thought already had them?" I asked suddenly feeling tired and he noticed and carried me to the bed.

"You had the basics, which every voodoo practitioner learns as see fit. The codex held the power meant for you that's why it was such an outrage when you pushed it aside. If the codex was found by the wrong person and opened, they would become consumed by its evil rather than a balanced connection between both sides."

"Oh. . . Why was it locked away? If it's mine why wasn't it given at birth? Or something?"

"I don't know Sev, I know it don't make sense right now, but all voodooist have to figure out their origin." He told us and I remembered Nyne saying something similar when we were younger. It was like I remember him saying whatever it was, but I couldn't picture it.

"Can you- do you still talk to Nyne?" I wondered.

"Yeah, he was with us when we were diggin the chest up."

"I feel like I need to talk to him or I should talk to him, could you help me achieve that?" I asked and he looked at me deep in thought before sighing.

"Do you feel like you're ready to see him though? It's one thing to communicate with spirits and another to think you can communicate with spirits let alone your first contact being your brother."

"I just have so many questions for Nyne, only he'd be able to answer and I've accepted that he died, he can no longer have a physical body. I won't accept that he's gone though because he's not, he's still here well not here, but his energy is still alive is what I mean."

"You've grown a lot Sev, It's amazing to see you accepting all that everything is. I think talking to him would be good for you at this moment in time."

"So okay!" I sat up excitedly. "How can we do that?"

"You just call for him, he'll show up at some point. You know how to brother do."

"Ain't shit change is basically what you're tryna say."

"Not even the afterlife could change that nigga." He said making us laugh.

"Ain't no way he hoeing with the spirits."

"You damn skippy."