𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 505 AD

"I love you, Merls. Never forget that," Astra called out as Merlin left her room."I love you, too, Astra," he replied with a smile before walking away with a skip in his step. 

Arthur's heart shrunk as he replayed the scene from the night before in his head while laying on his bed, trying hard not to let any tears fall. He had gone to find the girl he was so infatuated with after having a short talk with Morgana, only to hear her exchanging sweet words with his servant. She'd sounded so sure and genuine as she spoke to him. Not a single joke in sight. 

The blond turned onto his stomach, groaning into his pillow. He couldn't believe that Merlin would do that to him. He knew how he felt about the brunette. Heck, he had even given him advice on how to better approach her! And Astraea...well, he had been so sure that there was something going on between the two of them. Something still unspoken, still blooming, but definitely there. At the very least, he knew that he had felt it. 

But maybe it had always been her and Merlin together while playing some kind of twisted game. Her weird sense of humour certainly never shied away from pranks. And the Prince and Gwen had been destined for heartbreak at their hands from day one. Obviously, the whole fiasco with Morgana had been a carefully orchestrated distraction to mask what was truly going on. 

A tear escaped him, but he was quick to wipe it away. He'd truly thought that he'd found 'the one' in Astraea. 

Unable to sit still any longer, he shot up and promptly made his way out of the castle, wishing to go on a hunt in order to blow off some steam. Lost in his thoughts as he exited the building, the Prince conveniently bumped into Gwen, whose mood was the complete opposite of his. 

"My apologies, Guinevere, I was not watching where I was going," he said coldly, not sparing her a glance. "That is all right, Sire," she replied with a small smile. "Is everything okay?" she asked, frowning when she noticed the gloomy look on his face. "Oh yeah, just great," he answered sarcastically, stepping around the joyful servant. 

"Arthur," she called back softly, dropping the formalities and switching into friend mode. 

"I heard something outside of Astraea's chambers yesterday..." the blond began as he clenched his jaw, which peaked Gwen's interest. "What did you hear?" she wondered with a tilt of her head. And so the Prince went on to tell her about the supposed romantic relationship between Merlin and Astra.