𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔬𝔫𝔢

📍 San Antonio, Texas

October, 2023

That same night I met Leo at the barn after returning from my Uncle's funeral. I had said my goodbyes to my family, and promised to find a way to visit them some time. I felt deeply for them. And I was still unsure of whether going back to Camelot was the best choice for me. But I wanted to try – for my Aunt, and in honour of my Uncle.

My fingers tangled in Dallas's mane as Leo readied the machine, making sure that the time of arrival matched my 'biological time': meaning that, for some reason I did not understand no matter how many times Leo explained it, the amount of time I spent in San Antonio had to match the amount of time I was gone from Camelot and vice-versa. 

I was half-relieved that it had only been a week – surely the boys had managed to survive that long without me.

"Thanks Leo. For everything. You didn't need to go and get me," I smiled at the boy. "Your Uncle was a good friend of my father's; and he helped us out more times than I can count. It's the least I could've done," he waved me off. I shrugged and got ready to leave.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" he exclaimed and ran to his car, retrieving something from the backseat. A small box, about the size of a shoebox.

"This is a miniature version of the time machine, so that you can send SOS letters – or the like – if you ever need to return. You can only use it once, so use it wisely. And hide it well," he explained. I carefully took the box from his hands. It was fascinating, and I smiled.

"Thank you, truly. You're a great guy," I hugged the boy for a couple of seconds. He patted my back awkwardly.

"Okay, traveller. Let's get you outta here," he gently shoved me away and towards the machine. He was about to push the button, when something glinted out of the corner of my eye. "Wait!" I called. Leo started, but allowed me to proceed. I gave him a sheepish smile and ran to grab the shovel. "This will make burying the box easier," I shrugged. 

Leo chuckled and finally pushed the button.