𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 505 AD

"I would have never expected him to behave that way with you. Everyone else, undoubtedly. But you?" Merlin said after I reluctantly told him what had happened when I'd tried to comfort Arthur. The sorcerer had noticed my startled look and pressed until I caved and dragged him to his room for privacy. I didn't want Gaius to know because I was slightly embarrassed. I gave him a shrug. "He's just upset, he didn't mean it," I mumbled. "That is no excuse to snap at you like that!" my friend was quick to argue. I huffed. "Well–" "No, Astra, listen. I know you care about him a lot, but you cannot shrug this off. He has to apologise," he cut me off and spoke sternly. I simply nodded, my eyes fixed on my fiddling hands. 

Merlin nudged me, making me look up at him. His blue eyes were staring right into my soul. "Promise me you will not act as if nothing happened," he pleaded. I went to protest,  but the stern look that he gave me caused me to shut my mouth and I offered up my pinky. 

"Promise," I mumbled. He tilted his head at me. "I haven't taught you about pinky-swears?!" I asked with widened eyes. My friend shook his head, so I explained what he had to do, and what it meant. 

"You are so strange," he muttered. "Yup, and you love it," I countered. "Unfortunately, I do," he replied, giving me a short hug. I sighed against his shoulder and patted his back before mentioning that we should probably get back to finding a way to get rid of the troll.

We left his room and went downstairs to meet with Gaius. "Good news, kids. I examined the original potion!" he informed us, causing Merlin and I to share a grin. "If my calculations are correct, the effect should wear out sometime tomorrow," the physician added. "So the troll will be revealed tomorrow?" I asked just to make sure I understood correctly. "It should," the man replied with a smile. 

I pumped a fist. "Yes! Finally!" I cheered, eager to see this whole situation come to an end. 

The timing of the troll's coronation (and I can't believe that's an actual sentence I can just say without it being metaphorical) couldn't have been more perfect

The timing of the troll's coronation (and I can't believe that's an actual sentence I can just say without it being metaphorical) couldn't have been more perfect. Just as Geoffrey was reading through the pledge, the potion began to wear off, showing small bits of rugged dark brownish grey troll skin on the impostor's arms. Catrina's eyes widened as she realised what was happening and quickly moved her sleeves to cover the patches. I couldn't help but snicker.