𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 506 AD

Gwaine and I were helping Gaius cook dinner (or attempting to, for we kept going off on conversational tangents and ignoring our tasks) when Merlin entered the apartment, clutching a bleeding hand. 

I dropped the knife and the carrot I'd been slicing and ran to him. "What the heck happened to you?!" I asked in alarm, instantly feeling dizzy at the sight. Gaius ran past me and led the boy to sit at the kitchen bench, while Gwaine helped to steady me. "You have gone pale, Trae," he whispered in concern. "Ah, it's the blood. I'm okay," I gave him a reassuring grin and sat down opposite Merlin, head in my hands. 

Watching 'House, MD' had done nothing to desensitise me, clearly. 

"To the eye the sword appeared blunt, but when I touched it..." my best friend explained what had happened while he'd been cleaning Sir Oswald and Sir Ethan's room, a grimace on his face as he hissed from the pain of having his hand manipulated by the physician.  

"You were lucky. I have seen those blades in action. They are forged using sorcery," Gwaine said and plopped down next to me. "What would they want with such a blade?" Gaius wondered. "With our track record, they're likely looking to kill Art," I mumbled, still unwilling to lift my head. "But in front of all those people?" the physician questioned. "It is the perfect cover. If they succeed, nobody will suspect it was intentional," Gwaine answered the elder man. "Yeah, it's freaking genius," I quipped. 

"We should warn Arthur," Merlin stated. I lifted my gaze to make visual contact when I felt his eyes on me. "You think he'll believe us?" I asked. He usually waved us off, and then we're always proven right after saving his life. "Not without proof. Sir Oswald is a knight. He comes from a well respected family," Gaius noted. "Then we need that blade," Merlin stood up, his hand forgotten. 

"I'll get it, you rest," I stood up as well. "Yeah, I will come with you," Gwaine backed me up. 

"What if they catch you? What reason would either of you have to be in Sir Oswald's chamber? No. It is safer if I do it," Merlin argued. Gwaine nodded while I narrowed my eyes at my friend. "I will be quick, I promise," the sorcerer persuaded. "Fine," I conceded and sat back down. 

Merlin left the room, determined to stop the criminals, while those of us who remained went back to cooking. 

Several minutes passed and I began to grow restless. 

"He should be back by now," I forgot about the salad I was making once more and began to pace the room. "Yes, I was thinking the same thing," Gaius said, sounding concerned. "I am going to go see what is going on." Gwaine grabbed his sword and left the room. "Gwaine," the elder man's warning fell on deaf ears. I followed the brunet's actions. "Astra!" the physician protested, getting the same result.