𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

📍 Somewhere in medieval Britain

March, 505 AD

"What do we do?" I asked in a whisper, my heart racing as the evil men began to open a second gate that would release the Wilddeoren onto Lancelot and Gwen. "We are going to have to fight," Arthur replied, removing his sword from its sheath. I mumbled a quick prayer and let out a shaky breath before drawing my bow, ready to do whatever it took to rescue my friends. 

With the bandits distracted watching their little version of a gladiator show, it was easy for us to sneak up to the enclosure and Merlin and I watched in awe as the Prince easily leaped over the iron bars that divided the room from it. We shared a nervous look before we climbed it sloppily. 

"Arthur!" Gwen exclaimed as the Prince swiftly moved to stand next to Lancelot, both men shielding the girl from the creature that was now loose before them. "And Merlin," the sorcerer announced, stumbling as he jumped off the fence. "And your favourite human," I added, almost falling on my face before regaining my composure and aiming my bow at the giant rat. 

Lancelot and Arthur took turns swinging their swords at the beast while Merlin, Gwen and I watched helplessly. I'll admit, I didn't have the guts to hurt an animal, no matter how vicious. It was as much a victim of the bandits as Gwen was. 

My best friend sent me a questioning look, which I understood completely. 'Should I?' he mouthed at me. I looked around the room and spotted several angry-looking men getting ready to climb the fence and fight us off, likely hoping to kill Arthur, Lancelot, and anyone who stood in the way of their entertainment. I let out a sigh and turned back to the sorcerer, nodding subtly. 

He whispered a quick spell and a huge chandelier suddenly broke off the ceiling, taking out a bunch of dudes and part of the barred division, which gave the rat access to the whole room. Finding easier preys in the disabled bandits, it quickly moved on from us and attacked them instead. 

"The tunnel! That is our only chance!" Arthur called our attention, motioning towards a grate on the side that led to a tunnel that was apparently used to transport Wilddeorens into the 'battle ring'. Swallowing the claustrophobia I felt once more, I followed the Prince into the narrow passage. We had to hurry before the giant bald rat was killed and the men decided to come after us. 

However, some of the bandits still noticed us sneaking away, and they quickly followed us, clouding our chances of getting out alive. Their footsteps were close behind us as we navigated the dark space with nothing but a torch that Arthur was carrying to give us a sense of direction. 

This must be how Indiana Jones felt while running from the boulder. 

"Take the girls, I will hold them off!" Lancelot, who trailed the pack, called out and let go of Gwen's hand – which he had taken ahold of at some point – after squeezing it, ready to sacrifice his life for ours as a determined look appeared on his features. "No!" Gwen instantly opposed his request. I stopped running, ready to argue with Lancelot, but Arthur grabbed my hand and forced me to keep moving, ignoring my protests as I tried to break free. The girl, however, was set on saving the former knight, who stood facing the incoming avalanche of bandits with his sword drawn.