𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 505 AD

"Come on, you stupid thing," I muttered in frustration as I repeatedly hit the lock on the wooden box with a hammer, careful not to damage the actual box. We would need it unharmed for a later stage in our plan. In the meantime, Merlin was still going through Gaius's books on botany. "If you allow me–" the sorcerer spoke.  "No, Merls, you're not opening it. We can't risk anything like that right now. Keep reading," I quickly cut him off and shot him down.

He had continuously insisted on using magic to open the box, but given our current predicament, I thought it was better if he abstained from using his gifts for the time being. 

"I'm gonna see if Gwen has anything that could help. Maybe she still has some of her dad's tools," I announced, giving up on the hammer. "What will you tell her?" Merlin wondered with a frown. "The truth," I replied with a shrug. He gave me a wary look. "She was very worried when Gaius was taken prisoner, so I'm sure she'll be willing to help," I explained my reasoning. My best friend nodded pensively and I left the room.

Things between those two were still foggy. They hadn't spoken at all since the incident with Lancelot, and I knew that Merlin was still hurting from it. Gwen and I had exchanged some words here and there, out of necessity, but I figured that if there was ever a good time and place to patch things up, it was during a life-or-death situation like this one. 

I found the dark-skinned girl in her home, since it was late at night and she was done working for the day.

"Astra! What a lovely surprise!" she exclaimed when she opened the door and saw me, something unexpected but quite welcome. Apparently, she's not as resentful as I am. "Hey," I replied with a small grin and an awkward wave. "Come on in!" Gwen invited me in and I was quick to follow, knowing that it'd be safer if we spoke inside.

"Look, I know that things between us have been rocky, and I'm sorry for dropping by without a warning, but I was wondering if you had any tools that could help me break a lock," I explained what I was doing in her home, nibbling on my bottom lip as she gave me a confused look. "Break a lock? What for?" she wondered. I let out a nervous chuckle and went on to briefly explain what had happened with Gaius and how I was suspicious of Aredian.

"I have the sensation that something is off about him, as well," she noted pensively. Hope rose in my chest. "I will see what I can find," she assured me before walking off towards a small closet. I grinned at her and waited somewhat impatiently – without making it obvious, since she was kindly helping me – while she shifted through the place.

"These can cut metal. They should be strong enough for the lock," she finally handed me a pair of ancient rusted bolt-cutters. I sighed in relief as I grabbed them. "Perfect! Thank you so much, I'll see ya' 'round!" I gave her a quick hug before rushing off back to the physician's apartment.