𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

March, 506 AD

Merlin and Arthur made their way back to the castle following an eventful lunch break at a tavern. It had started off peaceful – amusing, even, as the female owner complimented the sorcerer on his good looks – but then a big, tyrannous man had walked in and threatened the kind woman as he looked to steal her earnings. 

The pair had been quick to defend her, but were greatly outnumbered when the man's posse walked into the building. Luckily, an intriguing stranger by the name of 'Gwaine' had jumped in to help them; and though the tall, brunet man had ended up unconscious on the ground after the struggle, the Prince and his servant left the tavern victorious thanks to him, and the owner's dignity was restored. 

A still unconscious Gwaine now hung from Falcon's back, forcing the sorcerer to walk. 

"Merlin," Arthur called his servant's attention. The latter hummed in response. "Please, let us keep Gwaine away from Astraea," the Prince begged. Merlin snorted. "Why?" he asked. "Well, he is crazier than she is! Do you really want them running around Camelot together?" was Arthur's response, his eyes widened in slight fear. 

The sorcerer let out a chuckle. 

"Are you worried that he might swoop her off her feet? Because I will tell you right now – there is no way that could happen." The blond couldn't hide anything from Merlin – the boy knew him too well. Arthur sighed and looked down, then narrowed his eyes. He couldn't possibly let Merlin know that he was insecure that Astra would leave him for someone else! 

"No, I am worried he will corrupt her. My father and I have worked hard to turn her into a functional member of the court, and I want to keep her that way." Merlin scoffed at the Prince's words. "I dare you to say that to her face," he challenged the blond, knowing that Astra would round-kick him in the head if she heard what he was saying – and for good reason. Arthur glared at the sorcerer, but said nothing else. 

I hated hanging back when Arthur and Merlin went out

I hated hanging back when Arthur and Merlin went out. But a routine trip around the kingdom to ensure that everything was working smoothly had little potential for danger, so I wasn't too worried this time around. In any case, I was preoccupied with training the horses and knights for an upcoming tournament – a 'mêlée', which is a mix of jousting and bumper cars, from what I gathered. Absolutely barbaric and stupid, but the knights were welcome to risk their lives for a dumb display of superiority, if that's what they wanted.