𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔬𝔫𝔢

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 506 AD

My leg was bouncing up and down as I sat by the windowsill, looking off to the distance. The vast expanse of the city of Camelot was visible from the King's chambers. Had it not been for the forest and mountains that interrupted the straight view, I would've been able to see all the way to the coast of France, it seemed like, given how clear the sky was. 

However, the thought of visiting medieval Paris wasn't what was making me anxious – why would it? No. I was anxious because Merlin and Arthur were out on patrol again, and the Prince had taken Tequila out for the first time. I trusted the horse completely, that's not what worried me. What worried me was the fact that bandit activity had increased. I was afraid they would be ambushed and hurt, kidnapped, killed...

"Astraea, are you even listening?" Uther's booming voice snapped me out of my thoughts. 

"Yeah, yeah. Farmers fighting over land. What's new?" I replied, waving him off. The man huffed. "As the King, it is up to me to find a solution. And as my advisor, it is your job to aid me in doing so," he said sternly. I sighed and left my place by the window, going to sit on the table instead. He didn't need to remind me what my job was. It was the reason why I couldn't be out with the boys, surveying how Tequila's first outing with Arthur went. 

"Do you mind?" the King asked in exasperation as I moved around some papers to make space for my butt. "Nah, I don't," I replied with a small grin, not bothering to look at him.

I ripped the document he was looking at out of his hands and read it, analysing the situation between the two fighting farmers. 

A smirk formed on my face. 

"Utah, they're not truly fighting over land. That's an excuse. Look at their statements. Do you notice something strange?" I returned the document and gave him a few minutes to peruse it again. Then he turned to me, confusion clear on his face. I chuckled."Look at how much they both mentioned Mrs. Keats," I gave him a hint. The confusion remained. "Yes, her husband's passing is the reason why all the argued upon land is available," he told me. "I know. And yet, neither John or Stephen seem to be really talking about it. I think they both want the space because they want to get closer to Mrs. Keats. Working on her late husband's lands, so close to her house, would give them the perfect opportunity to attempt to court her," I explained what I'd been thinking. 

Uther read the document once more, humming every now and then. 

"I believe you might be right, Astraea," he informed me, a surprised look on his face. "Always am," I smirked. He shook his head in disapproval. 

We agreed that Mrs. Keats should be the one to decide who gets to work on her late husband's land: either John, Stephen, or someone else of her choosing; and then moved on to the next document.