𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

April, 505 AD

The incident with 'Catrina' left Uther extremely paranoid about magic. Possibly more than ever. And every single slightly out-of-the-ordinary event was thoroughly investigated. I mean, who can blame him? He was tricked into fondue-ing with a troll! But it meant that I had to be extra careful with my twenty-first century items, and Merlin had to be extra careful when using his powers. 

That last part, however, was easier said than done. 

"I did something stupid, Astra," my friend mumbled as he bursted into my room early in the morning. "You mean more than what you usually do?" I asked with a smirk, earning a glare as he paced. "It was a simple trick, I could have sworn no one was watching," he continued to spill his guts, his expression bewildered. "From the looks of it, you would've been wrong," I stated. Merlin glared at me again. "Luckily, the woman does not know it was me. But she is talking to the King as we speak," he finished, his breathing erratic. I puffed. "Well, as long as no one figures out you're responsible, there shouldn't be a problem," I shrugged it off. "What if someone does?!" he wondered. "Then I'll take care of it," I replied, smirking again. That earned me an eye-roll. 

Eventually, I was able to calm the sorcerer down and leave for a fun day of training with the horses. However, the news that met me upon returning to the castle weren't so fun. 

"Uther has sent for the Witchfinder," Gaius announced as he entered his apartment, where Merlin and I were preparing dinner. Or trying to. "The what?" I asked with a frown as I looked up at the elder man. "That is what he calls himself. His real name is Aredian. He is credited with bringing down over a dozen sorcerers during the last two decades; and Camelot will be his next stop," he explained gravely and casted a disappointed glance towards my best friend. I patted Merlin's arm as he looked down in guilt. "Okay, hold on," I mumbled before running off to find the King. 

"Utah– there's no need to get a Witch-hound! I can help for free! I've read all of 'Sherlock Holmes' and I've seen enough of 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' to know how detectives work!" I told him as I corralled him in the corridor while he was trying to make his way towards his room. The man sighed in exasperation. "I know not what any of that means, Astraea. But Aredian is an expert, and given recent events, it is crucial that we rid Camelot of all sorcery at once," he argued, crossing his arms. "I agree! And I'm probably twice as smart as this Magic-sniffer dude. And I know my way through Camelot like nobody else," I continued trying to persuade the man. 

Uther huffed and stepped around me. "I appreciate your willingness to help, but my decision is final," he stated as he walked away, not sparing me a glance. I narrowed my eyes at him and watched him until he entered his room, then I ran back to Gaius's apartment. 

"Merlin, we gotta hide all our stuff," I told my best friend, whose face dropped. 

The young sorcerer and I packed all of my suspicious twenty-first century items into my suitcases, along with his magic books, and loaded everything onto my Uncle's wagon, then somehow managed to drag and carry the darn thing down to Kilgharrah's cave.