Chapter 8

I didn’t feel like going to school that day. I knew there would be people questioning Ethan’s classmates, teachers and friends and although I wasn’t any of them, I was scared of being questioned.

What if they checked his phone or computer and found our chat? They would doubt me.

It wasn’t like I didn’t feel sad about his death but I was just scared of being suspected.

Before leaving for school, I prayed for Ethan to be happy where he was now. I couldn't control my tears from falling. Someone whom I had admired for 2 years was dead, without knowing that I admired him. I wish I told him.

School-
The students, even those who weren't Ethan's friends or classmates looked dull. I saw a man in a black suit, walking down the corridor when I was walking towards my classroom. He entered Ethan’s classroom 12-3 for questioning.

After the first bell, the Dean gave a speech on the speaker about the ‘sad departure of Ethan Miler from this world.’ He said he lost a gem and offered condolences to his dad and brother.

He was like the flowers of spring. That's how short he lived.

I tried to pay attention to the lessons and forget the fact that I ever texted Ethan.

Suddenly, the investigator called for me.
I stood up nervously and walked out of my class. I told myself that the more nervous I look, the more he would think I did something wrong. I had to be confident in front of him.

I was told to go to the Dean’s office. There was only the investigator in the office. He was a man in his thirties.

“Gwen Smith?” He asked me and I nodded.
“Take a seat.” He said,” I’m Richard Cooper.”

I sat down and smiled palely.

“I hope you know what this is about.” He said.

“I surely do. But why are you questioning me?” I asked politely. I wasn't even close to Ethan. Could he have possibly retrieved the chats from his phone?!

“This might sound bad but your friend told me about you trying to get Ethan’s attention.” He said.