Chapter 61

An unintended, whole-hearted smile formed on my face as Elijah stood below, holding a red balloon in his hands and stretching it outwards at me. I couldn't have been more happier than that throughout the day.

"Thank you." I said, taking the balloon from his hand and sticking it on the mark," Didn't expect you to be here." I said. Of course, It was a holiday for those who didn't want to help in the preparations and I thought he had better things to do, like think upon Ethan's case or visit some mortuary again. But he was there, wearing a soft, light blue sweater over a white shirt and black jeans, like he had come on a date.

"I thought Stace would come so I was looking around," He said and shrugged in disappointment, handing me the white balloon.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you since yesterday." I said, turning towards him while still standing on the top of the ladder. I had to let him know. I couldn't delay it any longer. She trusted me to convey her words to him and I couldn't break her trust even though I resented whatever she did. 

"It's about her, right?" He asked and waited for my response in anticipation.

"Yeah. The day before she visited me for the...last time. She's moving," I said and seeing his expressions intensify, I paused," to Canada, to her step dad. She was just..." I paused as I saw someone dressed in all black approaching us, from the corner of my eye.

"'She was just' what?" He asked, gripping either sides of the ladder, as if meaning to say that he won't let me leave until I told him everything. I didn't want to open my mouth. I was afraid he would give up on Ethan's Investigation.

"Come down," Edwin spoke as he walked towards us with hurried steps. Elijah looked so irritated, as if he would probably throw hands at Edwin for interrupting us.

"Why?" I retorted and saw both the guys glaring at each other for a moment and then Elijah moved away from the ladder. He looked troubled and I wouldn't blame him for just...leaving me for Edwin Miler. He wasn't supposed to protect me anyway. No one was.

"I said, come down." Edwin repeated but I was reminded of the forced kiss and didn't budge. He thought he could do anything he wanted and I wouldn't report about him. Sure, he was right at thinking so, because I would never tell the cops or my parents about it because it was something I was supposed to solve myself. I couldn't be mama's girl for my whole life. I couldn't report him but I could use all my strength to fight him. While I was processing the situation and thinking of what to do to stop him from taking me to his house, he started climbing up.

Fuck.

"So what? should I just obey any random person?"

"How about we discuss that at my house?" He threatened me.

I wished there were more steps that I could climb and get further away from him.

"What is it that you really want from me?" I asked boldly.

"You." He smiled and it made me feel sick. He reached for my hand but I hid it behind me," Don't you touch me again or I'll scratch your face." I warned him viciously and for a moment, he became flustered. But he quickly put on his brash expression," You really test my patience."

"Enough." Elijah retorted as he stepped forward," Leave her alone."