Chapter 33

City Hospital-

"Take this bag to the 3rd floor, room 113. I'll park the car." mom said and I got off the car.

I walked across the reception and straight towards the elevator but before I could get in, I saw a little girl on a wheelchair coming towards the elevator.

"Do you want to get on first?" I asked her and she nodded. I helped her get inside the elevator but there wasn't enough space left for me.

"It's alright. I'll go by the stairs." I said.
Before the doors closed, she passed an adorable, gummy smile, which made me smile back instantly.

I made my way towards dad's ward through the stairs and when I reached, I saw his head covered in a thick bandage. He looked dull.

"Hey, dad." I said and hugged him,"How you doing?"

"Now I understand why hospitals are disliked by everyone. It's boring and full of grief." He said.

"But...it's also a place where life begins and where people get treated." I said.

"How's school recently?" He asked, after smiling at my response.

"It's...how it used to be, dad." I sulked, thinking he would bring the investigation up again.

"Nothing exciting going on? About prom." He said.

"You know how it's always been. I'd go for a movie with you rather than dancing with some idiot." I sighed.

"How about we visit your grandparents?" Mom asked as she entered and sat down on the couch in one corner.

"You look exhausted." Dad told her.

"I think I'll stay over." Mom said.

"Oh no no, you and Gwen must leave now. It's late. Go home and get some sleep comfortably." Dad insisted.

"I want to drink coffee before driving again." Mom said, rubbing her forehead. It was good that I had tagged along. She looked really tired.

I stood up and left to get mom coffee from the cafeteria on the ground floor.
I was walking down the corridor when I saw the little girl on her wheelchair again. She was just sitting still, looking at me and started smiling after a few seconds.

"Hey, we met again." I said,"Where's your guardian?" I asked and she shook her head , continuing to smile at something.

"Oh, I thought you were smiling at me. It makes me sad." I said in a childish manner.

"Pretty." She spoke.

"Who? Me?" I asked, thinking she'd complimented me.

"He's pretty..." She spoke again.

'He'? Who is she talking about?

"Who's pretty?" I asked her, bending a little lower to hear her clearly.

"The boy...behind you...He's so pretty!" She said with excitement.