Chapter 76

Richard Cooper

1st December

I shivered at the view of the Miler's Mansion in front of me. I had never been there before but something was really odd, no matter how I looked at it. Given the high security, it couldn't have been possible for anyone to trespass the property, enter the room on the second floor and kill a seventeen year old boy. It had to be someone from the family, who was present in the event.  

Clear windows, white marble walls, shiny wooden doors, who could've thought someone was murdered in there? One look at the huge mansion and all you think about is the beauty of it and not the blood stains that had been wiped off the floor. 

I got off my car, leaving the small package that I'd picked up from the city hospital on my way to the mansion. I flung my coat over myself and ambled towards the huge doors, leading to the hall. I didn't know what expressions I was wearing, but mentally, I was tensed. Since the death of Ethan Miler, it was my first time meeting Mr. Howard Miler, and probably his first time meeting a detective too. I had to be persistent to get all the answers to my questions and that thing  that I'd come for.

As I entered the main hall, I was welcomed by a lady servant, who guided me upstairs, to Mr. Miler's study. On our way there, I glanced around the whole hall to spot anything suspicious.

"You'll find Mr. Miler here." The lady informed as we stopped in front of a wide, wooden door. She left immediately after that. I adjusted my coat, knocked and entered the room, meeting the eyes of a man wearing glasses, holding a coffee mug in one hand and flipping the pages of a file kept on his table with the other. 

"Welcome, Mr. Cooper." He spoke in his bold voice and gestured me to take a seat opposite to him at the table.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Miler." I spoke and took a seat.

"I'm sorry for delaying this meeting so much. I was busy with work, you see." He said and placed the mug at the table and took his glasses off.

"Yes, earning money is more important." I said with a hint of taunt to which his expressions intensified.

"Officer Judith is an old friend of mine," He paused," I'm guessing he sent you to ask a few questions so go ahead." 

I smiled briefly at myself. My plan of coming as a cop's colleague worked.

"Starting off, what exactly happened on the night of 11th November?" I asked.

"Well, there was a family gathering and all our distant relatives were invited. Ethan had locked himself in his room since he wasn't liking the event and when he didn't come out the whole night, I myself went to his room next morning to find him..." He sighed and scratched the tip of his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry." I said before continuing with the questioning," You say, he was depressed and yet none of you noticed?"

"It's just the three of us. Edwin's always lost in his own world and I'm occupied with work. I know we don't sound like a family. It's been like this since their mother passed away." He answered.

"Any reasons for depression?" 

"We don't know anything." He shook his head.