Chapter 99

Mrs Frost left early, as they had come from the court room and she had to travel a long way home. To cheer me up, she invited me to her house next weekend.

"I'm sorry Gwen. I was busy with the case along with dad." Elijah said as we sat down on the bench together, where I sat alone previously.

"It's alright. I understand."

"What have you been up to these days?" He asked.

"I...I was...just..." I fiddled with my hands, while looking down at my lap.

"Trying to forget?" He asked.

"No...trying...not to forget."

"Your dad told me you've been coming to this place every evening, staying until midnight."

"Yeah."

"He finds it weird. But I know there's a reason why." He said.

"It's because...Edwin...he liked this theme park."

"Won't you ride the Ferris wheel then?" Elijah smiled brightly.

***

While we were riding the Ferris Wheel, it was almost midnight. I was reminded of the first time I had come to this theme park with Edwin on New Year. The fireworks that night were beautiful, but tonight, the sky was plain and simple.

"Your eye...is it alright?" I asked him to break the silence.

"It's nothing. It will heal." He reassured me," What I don't know is what happened after."

I hadn't told him yet, that he was possessed and that Ethan kissed me. Even though it was Ethan, it was actually Elijah's body. I was thinking it wasn't right to bring that up, but if he insisted to know, I had to tell him.

And so, I told him everything in detail while we sat in the Ferris wheel. He was silently listening. There was no hint of surprise on his face when I told him about the kiss. He just nodded like he accepted it.

"And then... Edwin said...not to hate him." I finished," That's why... I'm... I'm here...every evening I come here and stare at the Ferris wheel but I can't dare to ride it alone...because I feel his absence so much...that it hurts..."

"You can take things easy. You have to take care of yourself." He took off his muffler and draped it around my neck. When he held my hands between his palms to warm them up, I felt the same warm feeling I did when Ethan held my hand.

I looked at him with glistening eyes and he just pulled me into a hug.

"Do I remind you of him?" He asked softly. I nodded within his grip, with my face pressed against his chest.

"I know it might upset you." I said.

"No, Gwen. I can be your Ethan."

Holding each other's hands, we stared at the plain sky, which didn't seem so plain anymore when we reached the top of the Ferris wheel.

Out there, so distant but still so close, amidst those stars...two of them shined the brightest.

×××

A/N

I can't explain how satisfied I am feeling right now, with The Third Word coming to an end. I thank all of you fellow readers who have given their time to read my story and have made it so successful. The story may not have ended the way you wanted it to, but I hope you can feel the emotions I felt while writing this, and together we can connect with each other through this work. I don't know if I have succeeded in connecting with you all, but I really wish you all enjoyed this story. After all, your happiness matters the most to me.

See you in my third story!!
Peace <3

P.S. i haven't forgotten about the Bonus chapter :)